Connect with us

News

Labour Seeks Buhari’s Intervention on Minimum Wage

Avatar

Published

on

Organised labour has sought President Muhammadu Buhari’s intervention to resolve the dispute over the N30,000 new minimum wage.

At a meeting in Abuja on Wednesday, the FG and labour again failed to reach an agreement over payment of the new minimum wage.

While the FG is offering a 10 per cent salary increase for workers on grade level 07 to 14 and 5.5 per cent for those on grade level 15 to 17, labour is insistent on 29 per cent for workers on grade level 07 to 14 and 24 per cent for those on grade level 15 to 17.

However, both parties will resume negotiations in Abuja next week.

A source told our correspondent that labour was insistent on its demand while government negotiators refused to improve on their proposals.

The source said a meeting that was scheduled for today had been called off.

The source said, “We maintained our earlier position and demand at the meeting. Government negotiators were not ready to move from their position also. We have told to package our position and their own proposals and send to their principal (President Muhammadu Buhari) to look at the difference.

“We want him to look at it hoping that the FG will come up with better proposals. Whatever they come up with will be the subject of our meeting next week. Tomorrow’s meeting has been called off.”

Labour was not happy after FG on Monday attributed the delay in the implementation of the consequential adjustment of the new minimum wage to labour’s unrealistic demands.

The Chairman of the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission, Richard Egbule, said labour’s demands would significantly increase the total wage bill, hence the government would not accept labour’s proposed salary adjustments.

Responding to the claim, Secretary of the Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council, Alade Lawal, in an interview with our correspondent said the government was trying to force labour to accept its proposal, adding that such would only make workers poorer.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

COVID-19: Ebonyi Indigenes in Diaspora Pray for Gov. Umahi’s Speedy Recovery

Avatar

Published

on

The Association of Ebonyi State Indigenes in Diaspora (AESID) world-wide has extended its heartfelt sympathy to the governor of Ebonyi state, Engr. David Nweze Umahi, who recently announced that he has been tested positive to the Coronavirus disease on the wee hours of Saturday, July 4th, 2020.

In a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday in Abuja, signed by the President, World-wide of AESID, Ambassador Paschal Oluchukwu, expressed shock and prayed that pandemic be successfully managed and further spread curbed in Ebonyi state, Nigeria and in the world generally.

While wishing governor Umahi a speedy recovery, Amb. Oluchukwu, commended the governor for handing over the affairs of governance of Ebonyi state to his deputy, Barr. Eric Kelechi Igwe, to lead the frontline coordination of the battle to contain and manage further spread of the dreaded COVID-19 virus in the state.

The statement said: “Even as we were astonished when he(Governor Umahi) personally broke the news on the social media that the results from the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) indicated that he and some of his close aides also tested positive to COVI-19, we are gladdened by the disposition of his faith that all affected persons will soon test negative to the virus. Like the world already is aware; testing positive to the deadly pandemic is actually not a death sentence.

“While assuring that we have His Excellency, the Governor and all the affected aides in our esteemed prayers and wishing him and others a very speedy recovery to enable him continue to pilot the affairs of governance of our dear state, we also commend him for handing over the affairs of governance of the State to his Deputy, Barr. Eric Kelechi Igwe to lead the frontline coordination of the battle to contain and manage further spread of the dreaded COVID-19 virus which is already at community transmission level in our dear state.”

The association urged every Ebonyian to take the NCDC warnings and protocols very seriously, abide strictly by them and support all efforts by government at all levels in Nigeria in the sustained fight against the dreaded COVID-19 virus.

“It is our earnest desire therefore that the pandemic be successfully managed and further spread curbed in our dear state by all concerned just as we urge every Ebonyian to take the NCDC warnings and protocols very seriously, abide strictly by them and support all efforts by government at all levels in Nigeria in the sustained fight against the dreaded COVID-19 virus. It is real and it has come to stay!

“May God Almighty continue to uplift our dear state as the salt of the Nation.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Court Transfers Evans’ Trial To Office Of Public Defender

Avatar

Published

on

There’s a new twist to the ongoing trial of kidnap Kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans as an Ikeja High Court in Lagos has asked the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) to take over the defence for his alleged inability to afford legal fees.

The Lagos State Attorney-General (A-G), Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) told the court on Friday that his team placed a phone call to Evans’ legal team on the last court date to enquire about the whereabouts of Evans’ counsel.

Justice Hakeem Oshodi, thereafter, noted that Evans had developed a habit of engaging the services of lawyers who according to the judge, “disappeared halfway through trial” and this has caused delays in the case.

He is standing trial alongside four others over the alleged kidnap of Mr Donatius Dunu, the Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical ltd.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Wife Of Benue State Governor Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Avatar

Published

on

The wife of Benue State Governor, Eunice Ortom has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In a statement she personally signed on Friday night, the First Lady said tests conducted on her came out positive.

The First Lady also noted that her son and some staff too were infected by the virus, adding that she has gone into total isolation and has commenced treatment.

“A few moments ago this evening, I received my result from the tests earlier carried out on me by NCDC personnel on routine screening at Government House, Makurdi which returned that I, my son, and some staff are COVID-19 positive.

“We have from this moment, gone into total isolation as required by the protocol and would immediately begin the management treatment as advised by medical experts,” she said.

Ortom, however, advised everyone who has had contact with her in the past two weeks to undergo screening and get tested.

The governor’s wife is optimistic of recovering from the virus, stressing that being CIVID-19 positive is not a death sentence.

Although she admitted that the virus is real, she asked residents of the state not to panic but should be responsible for their actions.

In doing this, Ortom wants the people “to take preventive measures to be protected and be safe by observing the primary protocols.”

One of such include wearing of face masks, constant washing of hands, maintaining Social Distance and staying indoors.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019