Troops of the Nigerian Army under Operation Lafiya Dole have shot dead two Boko Haram fighters who were allegedly attempting to plant Improvised Explosive Devices for commuters in the Wala area of Borno State.
The troops of 26 Task Force Brigade under Operation Halaka Dodo, a sub-exercise of Operation Lafiya Dole, shot dead the insurgents, after a night of ambush at the Wala crossing point.
The army said on Thursday in a statement that despite a “downpour, the terrorists attempted to bury the IEDs on the road,” but two of them were killed by the troops, while others escaped with gunshot injuries.
Several weapons were recovered from the terrorists, including two AK-47 rifles, three magazines, 32 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition and four primed IEDs.
The acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col Sagir Musa, said, “Troops of 26 Task Force Brigade successfully thwarted the terrorists’ efforts to plant IEDs for commuters and troops’ main supply route.
“Earlier in the week, the terrorists suffered heavy losses when they failed in their attack on the headquarters of 26 Task Force Brigade, Bitta. They were overpowered by troops.”
NCDC To Establish Molecular Lab In Nasarawa
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is to establish a molecular laboratory and an Emergency Operation Centre in Nasarawa State.
NCDC Director-General, Chikwe Ihekweazu, disclosed this on Wednesday during a visit to Governor Abdullahi Sule at the Government House in Lafia, the state capital.
The laboratory will be set up at the Dangerous Disease Diagnostic Centre in the state.
According to the health agency, the state has 234 confirmed cases of coronavirus disease.
In its latest update on July 8, NCDC noted that 113 people have recovered from the virus while eight have succumbed to COVID-19.
Two Soldiers Killed, 17 Boko Haram Terrorists Neutralised In Borno
Two soldiers and four others of the 25 Task Force Brigade deployed at Damboa have lost their lives during an encounter with Boko Haram terrorists in Borno, Northeast Nigeria.
The Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, confirmed this to Channels Television in a statement issued on Wednesday.
According to him, the soldiers in conjunction with elements of Sector 2 Special Forces while on clearance operations along Damboa -Maiduguri Road, made contact with a Boko Haram/Islamic State’s West Africa Province criminals’ ambush team along their axis of advance.
The defence spokesman noted that the attack which occurred on July 7, left at least 17 terrorists dead, adding that several others were believed to have been injured.
“In the aftermath of the encounter, 17 Boko Haram/Islamic State’s West Africa Province criminals were neutralized as several others were believed to have narrowly escaped with varying degrees of gunshot wounds while a cache of arms and ammunition were equally captured by the gallant troops.
“Regrettably, 2 valiant soldiers paid the supreme price while 4 others were wounded in action,” the statement partly read.
Enenche explained that the injured “soldiers have been evacuated to a military medical facility and currently responding positively to treatment.”
Meanwhile, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole has been “directed to immediately deploy a Special Forces Battalion to reinforce and dominate Damboa – Bulabulin – Maiduguri axis.”
This, according to the defence spokesman is to “completely deny the terrorists any chance of escape during the final assault against the criminals.”
Reacting to the development, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai commended the “troops for their resilience and patriotism in crushing the remnants of Boko Haram/Islamic State’s West Africa Province criminals.”
He, however, asked them to sustain the onslaught against the “criminals as we approach the end of the insurgency in our country.”
Domestic Flight Operations Resume In Lagos And Abuja
Flight operations in Lagos State and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja have resumed after over three months of being shut down following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, the turnout of passengers was low as press monitored activities at the domestic wing of the Murtala International Airport, Lagos.
Passengers were seen with their masks on, observing social distancing and adhering to other COVID-19 protocols.
It was gathered that only five airlines have been given approval to fly.
Meanwhile, in Abuja, passengers were also seen arriving at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to board flights to Lagos.
The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 gave the go-ahead for the commencement of domestic flights following approval by the president, as the second phase of the eased lockdown was extended by another four weeks.
On July 1, the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika announced that the Abuja and Lagos airports will resume domestic operations on July 8, while the Kano, Port Harcourt, Owerri and Maiduguri airports would resume on the 11th.
Other airports are also expected to resume operations on the 15th.
Sirika, however, noted that a date for the international airports will be announced in due course.
Politics12 months ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News1 year ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics1 year ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election
Press Release1 year ago
Nigeria Decides: Theresa May Endorses Illegality in Buhari -MPV
News8 months ago
Senate Proposes 14-Year Jail Term For Sexual Predators In Tertiary Institutions
News2 years ago
ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs Varsity Teacher to Have Mercy on Students
Metro1 year ago
BREAKING: Obasanjo, PDP in Alliance to Kill Nigeria – Former Senate President, Ebut Cries Out