A Kano State High Court has nullified the appointment and creation of four additional Emirates in Kano State.
The presiding judge, Justice Usman Na’abba ruled that the creation of the Emirates and subsequent appointment of four new first class Emirs did not allow due process.
A former minority leader of the State House of Assembly, Nasiru Muhammad, had earlier in May filed a suit challenging the legality of the appointment of the new Emirs and deposition law 2019 which led to the creation of four additional Emirates.
Justice Na’abba on Thursday also dismissed all the objections on an earlier preliminary by the dependant challenging the jurisdiction of the court to handle the case.
He further affirmed that the plaintiff, who is a former minority leader of the state assembly has the capacity to challenge the establishment of the Emirates.
Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje had earlier in May assented the bill seeking the establishment of four additional first class Emirates – Rano, Gaya, Karaya and Bichiin – in Kano State.
Ganduje assented the bill following its passage by the Kano State House of Assembly.
He later in the month presented letters of appointment to the four new first-class Emirs during a ceremony held at the state capital.
Those presented with the letters of appointment include Aminu Ado Bayero, the son of Late Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, as the Emir of Bichi; Ibrahim Abulkadir as the Emir of Gaya; Tafida Abubakar as the Emir Of Rano and Abubakar Ibrahim II as the Emir of Karaye.
Ganduje during the presentation said the creation of the four Emirates will make Kano traditional system more efficient.
The creation of the new Emirates was however met with controversy as four Kano State kingmakers filed a suit against Ganduje and the State Assembly.
A group called Kano First also led a protest lamenting that the creation of more emirates will lead to spending of unnecessary funds.
They urged the government to focus on pressing issues, such as deflation of revenues, healthcare, security and educational challenges.
The creation of four additional Kano Emirates paves way for the decentralisation of the Kano Emirate council thereby decentralising the power of Emir.
COVID-19: Ebonyi Indigenes in Diaspora Pray for Gov. Umahi’s Speedy Recovery
The Association of Ebonyi State Indigenes in Diaspora (AESID) world-wide has extended its heartfelt sympathy to the governor of Ebonyi state, Engr. David Nweze Umahi, who recently announced that he has been tested positive to the Coronavirus disease on the wee hours of Saturday, July 4th, 2020.
In a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday in Abuja, signed by the President, World-wide of AESID, Ambassador Paschal Oluchukwu, expressed shock and prayed that pandemic be successfully managed and further spread curbed in Ebonyi state, Nigeria and in the world generally.
While wishing governor Umahi a speedy recovery, Amb. Oluchukwu, commended the governor for handing over the affairs of governance of Ebonyi state to his deputy, Barr. Eric Kelechi Igwe, to lead the frontline coordination of the battle to contain and manage further spread of the dreaded COVID-19 virus in the state.
The statement said: “Even as we were astonished when he(Governor Umahi) personally broke the news on the social media that the results from the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) indicated that he and some of his close aides also tested positive to COVI-19, we are gladdened by the disposition of his faith that all affected persons will soon test negative to the virus. Like the world already is aware; testing positive to the deadly pandemic is actually not a death sentence.
“While assuring that we have His Excellency, the Governor and all the affected aides in our esteemed prayers and wishing him and others a very speedy recovery to enable him continue to pilot the affairs of governance of our dear state, we also commend him for handing over the affairs of governance of the State to his Deputy, Barr. Eric Kelechi Igwe to lead the frontline coordination of the battle to contain and manage further spread of the dreaded COVID-19 virus which is already at community transmission level in our dear state.”
The association urged every Ebonyian to take the NCDC warnings and protocols very seriously, abide strictly by them and support all efforts by government at all levels in Nigeria in the sustained fight against the dreaded COVID-19 virus.
“It is our earnest desire therefore that the pandemic be successfully managed and further spread curbed in our dear state by all concerned just as we urge every Ebonyian to take the NCDC warnings and protocols very seriously, abide strictly by them and support all efforts by government at all levels in Nigeria in the sustained fight against the dreaded COVID-19 virus. It is real and it has come to stay!
“May God Almighty continue to uplift our dear state as the salt of the Nation.”
Court Transfers Evans’ Trial To Office Of Public Defender
There’s a new twist to the ongoing trial of kidnap Kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans as an Ikeja High Court in Lagos has asked the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) to take over the defence for his alleged inability to afford legal fees.
The Lagos State Attorney-General (A-G), Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) told the court on Friday that his team placed a phone call to Evans’ legal team on the last court date to enquire about the whereabouts of Evans’ counsel.
Justice Hakeem Oshodi, thereafter, noted that Evans had developed a habit of engaging the services of lawyers who according to the judge, “disappeared halfway through trial” and this has caused delays in the case.
He is standing trial alongside four others over the alleged kidnap of Mr Donatius Dunu, the Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical ltd.
Wife Of Benue State Governor Tests Positive For Coronavirus
The wife of Benue State Governor, Eunice Ortom has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
In a statement she personally signed on Friday night, the First Lady said tests conducted on her came out positive.
The First Lady also noted that her son and some staff too were infected by the virus, adding that she has gone into total isolation and has commenced treatment.
“A few moments ago this evening, I received my result from the tests earlier carried out on me by NCDC personnel on routine screening at Government House, Makurdi which returned that I, my son, and some staff are COVID-19 positive.
“We have from this moment, gone into total isolation as required by the protocol and would immediately begin the management treatment as advised by medical experts,” she said.
Ortom, however, advised everyone who has had contact with her in the past two weeks to undergo screening and get tested.
The governor’s wife is optimistic of recovering from the virus, stressing that being CIVID-19 positive is not a death sentence.
Although she admitted that the virus is real, she asked residents of the state not to panic but should be responsible for their actions.
In doing this, Ortom wants the people “to take preventive measures to be protected and be safe by observing the primary protocols.”
One of such include wearing of face masks, constant washing of hands, maintaining Social Distance and staying indoors.
Politics12 months ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News1 year ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics1 year ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election
Press Release1 year ago
Nigeria Decides: Theresa May Endorses Illegality in Buhari -MPV
News8 months ago
Senate Proposes 14-Year Jail Term For Sexual Predators In Tertiary Institutions
Metro1 year ago
BREAKING: Obasanjo, PDP in Alliance to Kill Nigeria – Former Senate President, Ebut Cries Out
News1 year ago
ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs Varsity Teacher to Have Mercy on Students