Connect with us

News

Invictus Obi Pleads Guilty To $11m Fraud In US

Avatar

Published

on

Obinwanne Okeke, a Nigerian entrepreneur better known as Invictus Obi, has pleaded guilty to $11million fraud.

Okeke was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) at Dulles International Airport while leaving the US over $11 million internet fraud in 2019.

Okeke, who appeared before a court in the eastern district of Virginia, admitted that he was involved in computer-based fraud between 2015 and 2019.

He earlier pleaded not guilty to a two-count-charge of internet fraud and was remanded in prison.

Robert J. Krask, the judge, accepted his plea.

“Okeke, 32, operated a group of companies known as the Invictus Group between 2015 and 2019, and was accused of fleecing unsuspecting victims of over $11 million,” the court documents read

“The conspirators obtained and compiled the credentials of hundreds of victims, including victims in the Eastern District of Virginia and elsewhere.

“As part of the scheme, Okeke and others engaged in an email compromise scheme targeting Unatrac Holding Limited, the export sales office for Caterpillar heavy industrial and farm equipment.

“In April 2018, a Unatrac executive fell prey to a phishing email that allowed conspirators to capture login credentials. The conspirators sent fraudulent wire transfer requests and attached fake invoices.

“Okeke participated in the effort to victimize Unatrac through fraudulent wire transfers totaling nearly $11 million, funds which were transferred overseas.

“Okeke pleaded guilty to a conspiracy to commit wire fraud.”

The accused will be sentenced on October 22 and could spend 20 years maximum in an American jail.

The Nigerian was once listed by Forbes as one of the 100 Most Influential Young Africans.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria’s COVID-19 Cases Worsen As Country Reports 544 Fresh Infections

Avatar

Published

on

Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases continued to rise as the country on Sunday reported 544 fresh infections.

This is according to a tweet by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) which said the new figure brings the West African nation’s total confirmed cases to 28,711.

The agency said the new COVID-19 cases were reported in 18 states in the country and the Federal Capital with Lagos State having the highest number of infections for Sunday – 199.

Other states which had new COVID-19 cases include Ebonyi – 65, Oyo – 47, Ondo – 46, Ogun – 31, Edo – 30, FCT – 28, Katsina – 25 and Plateau – 15.

The rest are: Bayelsa – 11, Kaduna – 10, Adamawa – 10, Akwa Ibom – 8, Gombe – 7, Kano – 4, Taraba – 3, Rivers -2, Abia – 2, Ekiti -1.

So far, 11,665 persons who contracted the virus have been discharged in Nigeria with 645 deaths recorded, according to the NCDC.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: Ebonyi Indigenes in Diaspora Pray for Gov. Umahi’s Speedy Recovery

Avatar

Published

on

The Association of Ebonyi State Indigenes in Diaspora (AESID) world-wide has extended its heartfelt sympathy to the governor of Ebonyi state, Engr. David Nweze Umahi, who recently announced that he has been tested positive to the Coronavirus disease on the wee hours of Saturday, July 4th, 2020.

In a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday in Abuja, signed by the President, World-wide of AESID, Ambassador Paschal Oluchukwu, expressed shock and prayed that pandemic be successfully managed and further spread curbed in Ebonyi state, Nigeria and in the world generally.

While wishing governor Umahi a speedy recovery, Amb. Oluchukwu, commended the governor for handing over the affairs of governance of Ebonyi state to his deputy, Barr. Eric Kelechi Igwe, to lead the frontline coordination of the battle to contain and manage further spread of the dreaded COVID-19 virus in the state.

The statement said: “Even as we were astonished when he(Governor Umahi) personally broke the news on the social media that the results from the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) indicated that he and some of his close aides also tested positive to COVI-19, we are gladdened by the disposition of his faith that all affected persons will soon test negative to the virus. Like the world already is aware; testing positive to the deadly pandemic is actually not a death sentence.

“While assuring that we have His Excellency, the Governor and all the affected aides in our esteemed prayers and wishing him and others a very speedy recovery to enable him continue to pilot the affairs of governance of our dear state, we also commend him for handing over the affairs of governance of the State to his Deputy, Barr. Eric Kelechi Igwe to lead the frontline coordination of the battle to contain and manage further spread of the dreaded COVID-19 virus which is already at community transmission level in our dear state.”

The association urged every Ebonyian to take the NCDC warnings and protocols very seriously, abide strictly by them and support all efforts by government at all levels in Nigeria in the sustained fight against the dreaded COVID-19 virus.

“It is our earnest desire therefore that the pandemic be successfully managed and further spread curbed in our dear state by all concerned just as we urge every Ebonyian to take the NCDC warnings and protocols very seriously, abide strictly by them and support all efforts by government at all levels in Nigeria in the sustained fight against the dreaded COVID-19 virus. It is real and it has come to stay!

“May God Almighty continue to uplift our dear state as the salt of the Nation.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Court Transfers Evans’ Trial To Office Of Public Defender

Avatar

Published

on

There’s a new twist to the ongoing trial of kidnap Kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans as an Ikeja High Court in Lagos has asked the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) to take over the defence for his alleged inability to afford legal fees.

The Lagos State Attorney-General (A-G), Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) told the court on Friday that his team placed a phone call to Evans’ legal team on the last court date to enquire about the whereabouts of Evans’ counsel.

Justice Hakeem Oshodi, thereafter, noted that Evans had developed a habit of engaging the services of lawyers who according to the judge, “disappeared halfway through trial” and this has caused delays in the case.

He is standing trial alongside four others over the alleged kidnap of Mr Donatius Dunu, the Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical ltd.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019