Connect with us

News

China, India Agree To Reduce Tensions After Deadly Clash

Avatar

Published

on

China and India have agreed to reduce tensions a week after their deadliest clashes in over 50 years on the disputed Himalayan border left 20 Indian troops dead in brutal hand-to-hand fighting.

The June 15 battle, reportedly fought with fists, clubs and rocks, was the first time troops have been killed on their frontier since 1975 and marked a major deterioration in ties between the two Asian giants.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said that after talks between the top regional military commanders on Monday, both sides “agreed to take necessary measures to promote a cooling of the situation”.

The Press Trust of India said the meeting was between Lieutenant General Harinder Singh, commander of the 14 Corps, and Major General Liu Lin, commander of the Tibet Military District.

“The holding of this meeting shows that both sides want to deal with their disagreement, manage the situation and de-escalate the situation through dialogue and consultations,” Zhao told a regular news conference.

The two sides “exchanged frank and in-depth views” and “agreed to maintain dialogue and jointly committed to promoting peace and tranquillity in the border areas”, Zhao added.

There was no official comment from New Delhi but an Indian army source said that after the meeting, reportedly lasting almost 11 hours, that there was a “mutual consensus to disengage”.

He added that ways to reduce frictions in the Ladakh region opposite Tibet “were discussed and will be taken forward by both the sides”.

The meeting came ahead of virtual talks between the foreign ministers of India, China and Russia later Tuesday, ostensibly to discuss the coronavirus and commemorate the end of World War II.

While Indian Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar made no direct mention of the clashes in his opening remarks, Russia’s Sergei Lavrov said that Moscow saw no need to mediate between the two countries.

“I don’t think China or India need any help whatsoever,” Lavrov said.

Russia is a major supplier of arms to both countries.

The Times of India reported that Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, in Moscow this week, would press Russia to fast-track delivery of its S-400 missile defence system as well as spares for fighter planes, tanks and submarines.

– Boycott calls –

China has said it suffered casualties but has not given more details. Indian media reports suggested more than 40 Chinese soldiers were killed or seriously injured.

India has since sent huge reinforcements of soldiers, military equipment and fighter jets into the already highly militarised region. China is reportedly following suit.

In India there have been growing calls for a boycott of Chinese goods.

The clashes followed an earlier agreement to disengage struck in early June after weeks of rising tensions on the border, known as the Line of Actual Control, that included several brawls.

The June 15 violence took place around 4,500 metres (15,000 feet) above sea level in the Galwan river valley, where both sides accuse each other of encroaching on their respective territory.

China is claiming all of the valley as its own, which Indian analysts and officials say is a new demand. China now reportedly controls more of the northern shore of the Pangong Tso lake.

Harsh Pant from the Observer Research Foundation think-tank in New Delhi said he was sceptical that anything concrete had been resolved so far in the talks between the military commanders.

“Anything that the Chinese now say can’t be taken on face value. India, hopefully, has learnt its lessons now,” Pant told AFP.

“The episode has shaken Indian’s belief that a normal rational relationship with China is possible. And the power disparities are so huge that there is a degree of discomfort and suspicion in New Delhi,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria Records 221 New COVID-19 Cases

Avatar

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded 221 new COVID-19 cases.

The Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed this on Friday night.

Of the new cases, 59 were recorded in Lagos, 46 in Abia, 22 in the FCT, 20 in Gombe, 17 in Plateau, 11 in Rivers, seven in Bauchi, six in Benue, Ekiti and Imo, four in Kaduna, Kwara and Ondo, three each in Ogun and Osun and one each in Bayelsa, Edo and Kano.

The new cases bring the total infections in the country to 56,956.

48,305 have recovered and been discharged while 1,094 have unfortunately died.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tabNCDC@NCDCgov
221 new cases of #COVID19Nigeria; Lagos-59
Abia-46
FCT-22
Gombe-20
Plateau-17
Rivers-11
Bauchi-7
Benue-6
Ekiti-6
Imo-6
Kaduna-4
Kwara-4
Ondo-4
Ogun-3
Osun-3
Bayelsa-1
Edo-1
Kano-1
56,956 confirmed
48,305 discharged
1,094 deaths

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Hon. Hamidu Sajo Lekki Gets Double Honour Awards

Avatar

Published

on

Hon. Hamidu Sajo Lekki the Member representing Yola north state constituency in Adamawa state house of Assembly Hon. Hamidu Sajo Lekki has been Honoured with Double award By G4 Media International

Alhaji Musa Yaro Speaking through Mr. Emmanuel Stephen the Leader of G4 media international and The official partner of the institute of criminal justice and criminology administration, the first criminal reform institute in Sub – Sahara Africa .

He described the nomination of Hon. Hamidu Sajo as a reward for services and national impact.

Alhaji Musa Yaro the Market chief of Jimeta ultra modern market in Yola north local government, describes the performance of Hon Sajo as equal to none as a member representing Yola north.

Alhaji Musa Yaro

Alhaji Musa Yaro said the nomination came as double Honour and additional value to a man of excellence and good representative of the good people of Yola north in the state Assembly.

He Said the Honour which has recognized the Best Legislator and voice of the Masses and coming from G4 media international and also followed by the Institute of Criminal justice and criminology administration.

“The double honour is given to an active performer of our today’s Democratic action member in the House who deserved this award at this moment of our political differences”,

Presenting the letter in Yola the Chairman G4 media international Emmanuel Stephen described Hon. Soja as a man worth and fits for the Double Award.

The Students , youths and good people of Yola north described Hon. Soja Lekki as a man with the love of his people.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Army Arrests Bandits, Recovers Arms, Frees Kidnapped Victims in Zamfara, Katsina

Avatar

Published

on

Suspected bandits and other criminals specialized in killing and kidnapping Nigerians have been arrested by troops of the Operation Sahel Sanity, a component of the Nigerian Army operating in the North-West zone.

This was revealed by the acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brigadier-General Bernard Onywuko, in a statement on Friday.

SUSPECTED BANDIT BELLO IBRAHIM ARRESTED IN POSSESSION OF A PUMP ACTION RIFLE  AND 3 LIVE CATRIDGES AT DANSADAU ON 17 SEPTEMBER 2020
SUSPECTED BANDIT BELLO IBRAHIM ARRESTED IN POSSESSION OF A PUMP ACTION RIFLE AND 3 LIVE CATRIDGES AT DANSADAU ON 17 SEPTEMBER 2020

The statement said the troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY have stepped up their quest to rout remnants of bandits and other criminal elements in the North West zone of the country.

It says the gallant troops have relentlessly redoubled their efforts in this regard recording more successes against the bandits and their collaborators across the Theatre.

“On 12 September 2020, troops deployed at Dandume while on patrol rescued 2 young girls kidnapped by bandits at Dandume LGA in Katsina State. The girls were rescued after a hot pursuit by the troops which forced the bandits to abandon their victims escaping troops’ wrath by the skin of their teeth. The victims who were reportedly kidnapped on 18 August 2020 have been reunited with their families”.

MOTORCYCLES RECOVERED BY TROOPS FROM SUSPECTED BANDITS ALONG KAYAWA AXIS ON 13 SEPTEMBER 2020
MOTORCYCLES RECOVERED BY TROOPS FROM SUSPECTED BANDITS ALONG KAYAWA AXIS ON 13 SEPTEMBER 2020

According to the statement, on 13 September 2020, following credible information, troops deployed at Forward Operation Base Wuya recovered one AK-47 Rifle buried in a surgacane farm at Yarsabiya village in Anka LGA of Zamfara State. This prompted further search of the general area in anticipation of more similar recoveries. Relatedly, troops deployed at Moriki and Jangeru responded to a distress call and foiled a planned armed bandits attack on Mai-Zuma village in Zurmi LGA of Zamfara State. The troops immediately mobilized and engaged the marauding bandits in a shoot out along Kayawa axis forcing the bandits to withdraw in disarray and in the process abandoned 3 motorcycles which were recovered by the gallant troops.

Similarly, on 16 September 2020, troops deployed at Magami acting on a tip off arrested one Mr Yaya Rabiu at Magami checkpoint. The suspect was identified by troops to be a member of a notorious bandit gang that recently attacked troops location at Ruwandawa-Kwankele village in Gusau LGA of Zamfara State. Additionally, troops at Dangulbi also acting on credible intelligence arrested a suspected bandit named Basharu in a green tinted Golf III wagon car. Suspect have been on wanted list of bandits terrorizing locals in the general area.

SUSPECTED BANDITS COLLABORATOR IDRIS ISAH ARRESTED BY TROOPS AT YANKARA ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2020
SUSPECTED BANDITS COLLABORATOR IDRIS ISAH ARRESTED BY TROOPS AT YANKARA ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2020

Furthermore, on 16 September 2020, troops on routine patrol encountered armed bandits at Baga Buzu in Zamfara State. The cowardly criminals engaged the troops from afar, but the troops responded with superior fire power forcing the bandits to withdraw in disarray into the nearby forest with gunshot injuries as traces of blood were seen on their escape route. Nevertheless, during exploitation, troops recovered one AK-47 Rifle, 2 motorcycles, and one empty AK 47 Rifle magazine abandoned by the escaping criminals. Similarly, troops on fighting patrol encountered and pursued unconfirmed number of bandits on motorcycles at Kaiga Malamai. During the incident, the bandits abandoned 3 motorcycles and fled into the bushes.

The Army General said on 16 September 2020, troops deployed in Faskari arrested a suspected bandits informant named Isah Indo while spying on troops location. The suspect claimed to be a native of Sabon Layi village in Faskari LGA, but investigation revealed that his claims were false as the villagers denied knowing him. Similarly, following credible information, troops deployed at Yankara arrested a suspected bandits collaborator named Idris Isah from Yampa village in Faskari LGA of Katsina State, who is reported to be engaged in illicit activities with bandits.

SUSPECTED BANDITS INFORMANT ISA INDO ARRESTED BY TROOPS AT FASKARI ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2020
SUSPECTED BANDITS INFORMANT ISA INDO ARRESTED BY TROOPS AT FASKARI ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2020

Additionally, on 17 September 2020, troops deployed in Faskari responding to a distress call rescued 8 kidnapped victims from suspected bandits at Fankama and Sabon Layi area. This was as a result of actionable information that bandits dressed in military camouflage uniforms were sighted with kidnapped victims, the troops responded quickly and made contact with the bandits forcing them to abandon the victims as they fled into the bushes. In the same vain, troops while on patrol at Chabas Chabas, swiftly responded to a distress call and rescued a Canter truck driver, 11 women and children who were on their way to Batsari Market but were blocked by suspected bandits along Shimfida – Gurbi road. Also on 17 September 2020 troops deployed at Forward Operation Base Dansadau arrested a suspected bandit named Bello Ibrahim on a motorcycle on his way to Dandalla village in Dansadau, Maru LGA of Zamfara state with one Pump Action rifle and 3 live cartridges carefully concealed in a bag. All arrested suspects are in custody understanding preliminary investigation and will soon be handed over to the appropriate prosecuting authorities for further action.

SUSPECTED BANDIT BASHARU ARRESTED BY TROOPS AT DANGULBI ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2020
SUSPECTED BANDIT BASHARU ARRESTED BY TROOPS AT DANGULBI ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2020

Consequently, the gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY are commended for their continuous successes and their commitment to duty. They are further urged not to rest on their oars until Northwest zone is rid of all criminal elements. While the good people of the Northwest are once again assured of troops commitment to the safety of lives and property within the zone, they are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops with timely and credible information that will assist them in the conduct of their operations.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019