Beijing lifted several lockdowns imposed to control a fresh coronavirus outbreak and reported just three new cases in the city on Wednesday, raising hopes that the cluster had been brought under control.
The Chinese capital had closed off dozens of residential compounds and carried out mass testing last month after hundreds of infections raised fears of a virus resurgence.
But five residential communities that have had no new virus cases during a control period were released from lockdown on Tuesday, state media reported, as the city relaxed curbs.
Seven other Beijing communities saw their lockdowns lifted last Friday.
The vast majority of cases have been linked to the sprawling Xinfadi market that supplies about 80 percent of Beijing’s fresh produce and meat, sparking concern about food safety.
State media outlet China News reported that the lockdown of five communities in the hard-hit Fengtai district was lifted, and disease control experts would propose a plan for removing restrictions on another seven in the area surrounding the market.
But the report said even the communities freed from lockdown would have to “strictly implement closed management”, with non-residents unable to enter the compounds.
Communities will also issue entry passes for residents.
China had largely brought the deadly outbreak under control before the new Beijing cluster was detected.
The government has since imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people in neighbouring Hebei province to contain a fresh cluster there, adopting the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the epicentre of Wuhan city earlier this year.
However, Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiology expert at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters in June that the new outbreak had been “brought under control”.
CGTN Welcomes Ofcom’s Recognition of its Right to Broadcast in UK
China Global Television Network (CGTN) on Saturday welcomed the acknowledgement of the British media regulator that CGTN’s right to broadcast in Europe falls under French jurisdiction, which paves the way for its return to broadcasting in the UK after being taken off the air there two months ago.
The Office of Communications (Ofcom) of the United Kingdom on Friday said that it recognized that CGTN’s operations in Europe are in French jurisdiction, according to the Financial Times, which under the European Convention on Transfrontier Television, to which the UK is a signatory, allows it to resume airing programs in the country.
CGTN said on Saturday it is in contact with its broadcast licensee to verify the relevant information.
“We applaud and welcome the UK regulatory authorities’ return to objectivity and impartiality,” said CGTN via a spokesperson.
“As a professional international media organization, CGTN reports the world in an objective, fair and balanced manner and promote exchanges among people of all countries and regions. CGTN always respects and abides by the laws and regulations of the countries and regions where we operate,” added the spokesperson.
On February 4, 2021, Ofcom pulled CGTN off British airwaves after 18 years of services in the country, following an investigation into the broadcasting license of the outlet. CGTN has maintained that it “complies with the laws and regulations of every country” and expressed disappointment in the ruling that was “based on the so-called political nature of CGTN and related Chinese media organizations.”
Foreign Policy Analyst, Former Miss New Jersey On Xinjiang & U.S. Propaganda
The War in the Shadows: Challenges of Fighting Terrorism in Xinjiang | Trailer
Politics7 months ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics8 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics10 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Investigation9 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election