Nigeria on Friday recorded 575 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the country’s total caseload to 31,323.
This was revealed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in a tweet via its official handle.
According to the health agency, 224 new cases were reported in Lagos, 85 in Oyo, and 68 in the FCT.
Other states with new cases include Rivers (49), Kaduna (39), Edo (31), Enugu (30), Delta (11), Niger (10), Katsina (9), Ebonyi (5), Gombe (3), Jigawa (3), Plateau (2), Nassarawa (2), Borno (2), Kano (1), and Abia (1).
According to the NCDC, 12, 795 persons have now been successfully treated and discharged while 709 deaths have been recorded as a result of the virus.
Earlier on Friday, the World Health Organization said that it is still possible to bring coronavirus outbreaks under control, even though case numbers have more than doubled in the past six weeks.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the examples of Italy, Spain, South Korea and India’s biggest slum showed that however bad a outbreak was, the virus could still be reined in through aggressive action.
“In the last six weeks cases have more than doubled,” Tedros told a virtual press conference in Geneva.
However, “there are many examples from around the world that have shown that even if the outbreak is very intense, it can still be brought back under control,” said Tedros.
“And some of these examples are Italy, Spain and South Korea, and even in Dharavi — a densely packed area in the megacity of Mumbai — a strong focus on community engagement and the basics of testing, tracing, isolating and treating all those that are sick is key to breaking the chains of transmission and suppressing the virus.”
Meanwhile, the novel coronavirus has killed at least 556,140 people worldwide since the outbreak emerged in China late last year, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP at 1900 GMT on Friday.
At least 12,361,580 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories. Of these, at least 6,593,400 are now considered recovered.
The tallies, using data collected by AFP from national authorities and information from the World Health Organization (WHO), probably reflect only a fraction of the actual number of infections.
Many countries are testing only symptomatic or the most serious cases.
The United States is the worst-hit country with 133,542 deaths from 3,144,472 cases. At least 969,111 people have been declared recovered.
After the US, the hardest-hit countries are Brazil with 69,184 deaths from 1,755,779 cases, the United Kingdom with 44,650 deaths from 288,133 cases, Italy with 34,938 deaths from 242,639 cases and Mexico with 33,526 deaths from 282,283 cases.
China — excluding Hong Kong and Macau — has to date declared 83,585 cases (4 new since Thursday), including 4,634 deaths and 78,609 recoveries.
Europe overall has 201,723 deaths from 2,803,100 cases, the United States and Canada 142,335 deaths from 3,251,493 infections, Latin America and the Caribbean 138,337 deaths from 3,186,561 cases, Asia 41,422 deaths from 1,658,293 cases, Middle East 19,555 deaths from 893,896 cases, Africa 12,633 deaths from 557,308 cases and Oceania 135 deaths from 10,929 cases.
There have been 5,112 new deaths logged since 1900 GMT on Thursday — Namibia notably announcing its first – and 224,319 new cases.
Belgium’s 84 deaths per 100,000 population is proportionately the highest ahead of 66 for the United Kingdom, 61 for Spain, 58 for Italy and 55 for Sweden.
As a result of corrections by national authorities or late publication of data, the figures updated over the past 24 hours may not correspond exactly to the previous day’s tallies.
26 Kidnapped FRSC Officials Regain Freedom – Gov. Sule
The 26 officials of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) kidnapped along Mararaban-Udege in Nasarawa State have regained their freedom.
Governor Abdullahi Sule disclosed this on Monday at the Government House in Lafia, the state capital.
Governor Sule said the recent release of the remaining batch of seven officials has led to the complete freedom of the FRSC operatives that were abducted last week.
Three of the officials had earlier been rescued by security personnel on September 15, a day after 10 officers of the corps were seized in an attack by suspected bandits.
“All the twenty-something officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps that were kidnapped, all of them were released yesterday.
“I want to thank all the security (agencies) and those that have worked very hard to ensure that we achieve that feat.
“I want to thank them for all the efforts they are making to ensure that Nasarawa remains safe,” the governor said.
The officials were travelling for a training programme at FRSC Academy in Udi when they were attacked by suspected bandits
Following their abduction, the police authorities in Nasarawa State announced the rescue of three operatives earlier.
The Nasarawa State Commissioner of Police, Bola Longe disclosed this to the Channels Television in an exclusive interview on September 15.
EFCC, Navy Re-Strategise Against Oil Theft
As part of efforts to stem the tide of criminal activities in the maritime sector, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and the Nigeria Navy have agreed to review their strategies.
This resolve was expressed on Monday, September 21, 2020 during a courtesy visit by the Zonal Head of the Lagos office of EFCC, AbdulRasheeed Bawa, to Commodore Ibrahim Aliyu Shetima, Commander, Nigeria Navy Ship, NSS BEECROFT, Apapa Lagos.
Speaking during the visit, Bawa said: “The EFCC has the mandate to prosecute arrested suspects for illegal dealings in petroleum products and other maritime-related crimes and it has lived up to its billings. We will continue to curtail the activities of the criminals in the maritime industry”.
Bawa, who conveyed the regards of the acting Chairman, Umar Mohammed, to Shetimma, acknowledged the existing cooperation and working relationship between the EFCC and the Navy.
The Lagos Zonal Head, who used the occasion to officially introduce himself to the Commander, also sought a more robust collaboration and deepening of the existing working relationship.
Bawa, who also gave an update on the progress of the cases handed over to the EFCC Lagos Zonal Office, added that “We have recorded a 90 per cent success rate in our cases in court.
“Out of the 46 cases handed over to the Commission in the course of the collaboration, 22 of them have been completed successfully, including 17 vessels and their products forfeited to the Federal Government after diligent investigation and prosecution, while 18 others are at advanced stages of prosecution in various courts”.
Bawa further expressed the readiness of the Commission to look into whatever challenges that might be hindering the speedy prosecution of suspects over illegal oil deals, adding that “the Commission would continue to strategize and be more proactive in the investigation of cases handed over to it so as to ensure that products in the vessels are evacuated promptly.”
Earlier, Shettima had expressed his gratitude over the visit, saying, “This visit could not have come at a better time. I am impressed by the progress the Commission had made so far on the prosecution of maritime-related offenders.
“We appreciate your efforts and timely intervention in the evacuation of suspects and prompt prosecution.
“Globally, maritime resources are important and Nigeria is not an exemption. We must continue to work together to protect the industry and curtail the activities of the criminals.”
President Buhari Congratulates Obaseki, Reiterates Commitment To Free, Fair Elections
President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Godwin Obaseki on his re-election as governor of Edo State.
He congratulated him on Sunday in a statement signed by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity, Garba Shehu, urging him to continue to show grace and humility in victory.
The President also commended the election process in the state, reiterating the government’s commitment to free and fair elections.
“My commitment to free and fair elections is firm because without free and fair elections, the foundation of our political and moral authority will be weak,” he said.
“I have consistently advocated for free and fair elections in the country because it is the bedrock of true democratic order.
“Democracy will mean nothing if the votes of the people don’t count or if their mandate is fraudulently tampered with.”
Speaking further, President Buhari also commended the people of the state, the parties, candidates and security agencies for conducting themselves responsibly.
It was a dramatic process that saw Obaseki run a governorship race against Ize-Iyamu for a second time in four years.
Governor Obaseki and His Deputy, Philip Shaibu have been re-elected into office for another four-year tenure.
Both men faced each other in 2016, albeit with Obasek flying the flag of the APC and Ize-Iyamu flying that of the PDP.
A political rift between the governor and Oshiomhole which spiraled beyond the state to national politics, saw both men switch parties and square up against each other on platforms they once criticised.
The campaign, characterised by drama and controversy that did not spare the State House of Assembly, was tempered by the intervention of the Oba of Benin to calm fears that the poll could turn violence heightened.
A peace accord was also signed by all the candidates days before the poll as stakeholders made concerted efforts to ensure a successful poll.
Overall, most of the stakeholders rated the exercise as largely peaceful, free and fair.
Politics1 month ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics3 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Politics1 year ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Investigation2 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election
Press Release2 years ago
Nigeria Decides: Theresa May Endorses Illegality in Buhari -MPV