Connect with us

News

‘Our Official Didn’t Slap Any Airport Worker’ — DSS Counters FAAN

Avatar

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) has denied the claim by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) that its official slapped an airport worker.

FAAN had alleged that Safiyanu Abba, head of the DSS at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport in Abuja, stopped an aviation officer from searching a visitor who set off a metal detector.

In a tweet on Wednesday, the aviation agency added that during the incident which took place on July 17, Abba slapped the aviation security officer.

“We note with dismay that Safiyanu Abba, the head of DSS at NAIA, deliberately obstructed airport security process, and slapped an aviation security officer who was performing his duty,” the tweet by FAAN read.

However, Peter Afunanya, DSS spokesman, has denied the allegation.

In a statement, he said the DSS promotes cordial relations with other agencies, and prioritises good conduct among members of its staff.

“The attention of the Department of State Services has been drawn to the official release by FAAN that its staff was assaulted by the DSS Head of Formation at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja. FAAN also accused him of breaching security protocol at the Airport. So far, it has not been established that any FAAN staff was assaulted,” Afunanya said.

“DSS personnel are well mannered and could not have slapped or fought a worker of another agency.

“The news, as reported by sections of the media, has left an impression that is not factual and should therefore be disregarded.

“For the record, no DSS staff fought or engaged in any acts prejudicial to discipline or inimical to public safety at the Airport under reference.”

He said there is a smooth relationship between both agencies, adding the DSS would not join issues with FAAN.

“In line with its statutory duties, the Service recognizes the Airports as one of the country’s most important assets and has remained at the forefront of protecting them and other critical ones. It takes their security seriously and cannot breach it,” he said.

“As a strategic partner, the Service holds FAAN and its staff in good esteem. Both agencies have, over time, enjoyed robust working relationship in the areas of training and exchange programmes. For these reasons, the DSS will not join issues with it.

“It is believed that there are other avenues than the social media to resolve any misunderstanding among staff of two agencies that have had long history of unity of purpose in the execution of their mandates.

“It should be noted that the Service and the DGSS place premium on effective interagency collaboration needed to achieve positive outcomes for good of the nation and citizens.”

The spokesman urged the “travelling public” to go about their normal business, and assured them of the agencies’ commitment to ensuring safety at airports.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

We Won’t Allow Hijab In Kwara Mission Schools, CAN Insists

Avatar

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria in Kwara State has insisted that it will not allow its pupils to wear hijab, despite the Kwara State Government’s directive that Muslim female pupils in Christian mission schools should wear hijab.

The state government, last week, said it had approved wearing of hijab by Muslim female pupils in Christian mission grant-aided schools in the state.

It also said the 10 Christian mission schools closed down in the wake of the hijab crisis would be reopened on Monday, March 8.

However, the state branch of the Christian Association of Nigeria said it would not agree to the use of hijab in schools established by Christian missions, alleging that they were surprised that the government was trying to make a decision on a matter that was still before the Supreme Court.

CAN said, “The body condemns the use of hijab in Christian missions grant-aided schools as this will cause discrimination in schools and allow terrorists to easily identify our children and wards.”

Two missions, Evangelical Church Winning All and the Kwara Baptist Conference, said they would not allow the wearing of hijab in their respective schools when the schools reopen on Monday.

The leadership of ECWA said it would not welcome the directive in all its schools in the state.

The Chairman, ECWA Ilorin District Church Council, Rev John Owoeye, who spoke at a press conference in Ilorin on Friday, said ECWA schools were established by Christian missionaries for purposes of reaching communities with the love of Christ and to meet educational needs of the indigenes irrespective of religious affiliations, among other reasons.

The ECWA church leaders, who demanded return of ECWA schools to them, said since 1974 when there was agreement on collaboration between the state government and the proprietor for the school to be grant-aided schools, “the policy has never been total takeover of our schools by the government.”

Owoeye, who said Christians are bona fide citizens of the state, added, “We have equal rights under the provisional constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

He argued that the government was aware that Christian Religious Knowledge teachers were not posted to Muslim grant-aided schools and that the gathering of Fellowship of Christian Students was not allowed in Muslim grant-aided schools.

“Similarly, we want the government to be informed that her decision and plan to provide hijab and enforce its use in our Christian mission grant-aided schools will not be tolerated as it is an infringement on our freedom of religion as enshrined in the constitution of Nigeria,” he said.

Also, the President of Kwara Baptist Conference, Rev Victor Dada, in a separate press conference, said the mission would not allow the use of hijab in its 38 schools across the state, adding that the government was wrongly advised in taking the decision.

Dada argued that the state government took a wrong decision by its blanket approval of wearing of hijab for female pupils in mission schools.

READ ALSO: I was overwhelmed by job emails from US, UK after I carried placard –Job-seeking Delta graduate

“The state government was wrongly advised to take that decision. The state even acted in contempt of court as the case is still pending before the Supreme Court.

“We want to warn the government that the step it wants to take by approving the use of hijab for all public schools and grant-aided schools in the state will lead to an avalanche of reactions, the end of which no one can predict.

“With this move, the state government is saying the Muslims’ purported rights are superior to those of the Christians.

“What we are saying is that no one, whether the Kwara State Government or even the Federal Government, can force hijab on our children or in our schools. We shall not hesitate to use all legitimate means to protect our heritage. We will defend our faith and protect our property.”

Meanwhile, Muslim stakeholders in the state have urged the state government to stand by the rule of law in taking a final decision on the hijab issue.

In a statement signed by its Chairman, Alhaji Is-haq AbdulKarim; and Secretary, Professor Ibrahim Abikan, the Muslim Stakeholders said the state branch of CAN, which engaged the state government in a legal battle over the issue of ownership of the grant-aided schools since 2013 lost its two cases in Ilorin High Court in 2016 and the Court of Appeal in 2019.

In a related development, Chairman, Kwara State branch of the Nigeria Union of Teachers, Olu Adewara, said the union was not part of the hijab crisis currently going on in the state.

The NUT Chairman, Adewara, told reporters, “The hijab matter is basically an issue between the government, the Muslim parents and the owners of these schools, regardless that such schools are grant-aided by the government. The NUT is not involved because this is not a matter bordering on teachers’ rights.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

My Ex-Wife Lied Against Me, She Is An Adulterer —Fani-Kayode

Avatar

Published

on

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has said his ex-wife, Precious Chikwendu, lied against him, adding that he didn’t beat her at any point in time during their relationship.

Fani-Kayode also alleged that Chikwendu was an adulterer who tried to seduce his friends while he was in detention.

The former beauty pageant had accused her ex-husband of beating her up at several times including when she was pregnant.

The ex-wife further accused Fani-Kayode of confining her to a hospital when she attempted to escape.

Chikwendu subsequently demanded for full custody of their four sons.

The former beauty queen made the allegations in an affidavit she deposed to in support of an originating motion brought pursuant to Section 69 of the Child’s Rights Act, 2003.

But in a statement by his Media Consultant, Oladimeji Olaiya, the ex-minister described all the allegations as “lies and falsehood”.

The statement was titled, ‘Press statement on the vile and baseless allegations of Precious Chikwendu against Chief Femi Fani-Kayode’.

It partly read, “The statement of claim and affidavit that was filed in court by one Precious Chikwendu against Chief Femi Fani-Kayode is filled with lies and falsehood.

“Not one thing that she has alleged there is true. She is a pathological liar and a slanderer and we intend to prove this in court.

“We believe that the children’s lives would be in danger if they are with her and we shall prove this in court.

“Neither is it true that she was ever beaten by Chief Fani-Kayode or anyone else in his staff and security team, either when she was pregnant or not pregnant and it is not true that she was subjected to any form of physical or mental abuse from them.”

The statement also noted that Chikwendu walked out of the marriage despite pleas and entreaties.

“She walked out on her own saying she was hearing voices even when the entire household was begging her to stay and she abandoned her husband and four young children to meet other men outside.

“After she finished having her fun Chief Fani-Kayode refused to let her back into his and resolved to keep her out of his life. This is the best decision he has made in the last 7 years.”

Fani-Kayode also accused his ex-wife of adultery, saying, “Chikwendu’s only pastime was to post pictures and words on Instagram and sleep with men outside.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: I won’t take Covid vaccine, Kogi people are not guinea pigs –Yahaya Bello

“She also tried to seduce a number of Chief Fani-Kayode’s friends when he was in detention and extort money from them.”

Though Chikwendu demanded the full custody of her four sons, Fani-Kayode said the children’s lives would be endangered if left in her care.

“On one occasion she beat her first son so badly that his face swelled up like a football and he had to be rushed to the hospital where she admitted to her offence to the doctor. We have pictures of his damaged and badly swollen face.

“His crime was that he had called one of his 3 nannies “mummy” and this angered Chikwendu who then flew into an uncontrollable rage and punched him in the face in front of 7 nannies.

“On a separate occassion in front of three Pastors she also beat one of the triplets mercilessly simply because he had dared to cry during prayers. Again we have evidence of this and the Pastors and nannies will testify,” the statement added.

“We urge members of the public to wait until the truth is revealed about Chikwendu, her mental and physical abuse of her own children, her mental illness, her numerous attempts to murder Chief Fani-Kayode and his four children, her adulterous ways, her unfathomable cruelty, her gold-digging ways, her violence and so much more before they make up their minds,” it concluded.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Firm Donates COVID-19 Safety Kits To Ekiti Govt

Avatar

Published

on

A private firm, Wemmy Industries Limited on Friday, donated facemasks and other COVID-19 safety item to Ekiti State Government to curb the spread of the virus.

The items included 108 cartons of disposable surgical facemasks and 72 cartons of antiseptic hand wipes.
Mr John Egbedofo, Southwest Regional Manager of the firm said that the donation was in fulfillment of the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).

Egbedofo added that the focus was to contribute to efforts at curtailing the spread of the deadly COVID-19 virus.
He said the gesture would also be extended to severe medical facilities in the state including the Oba Adejugbe General Hospital in Ado Ekiti, Specialist hospitals in Ikole Ekiti and Ikere Ekiti.

Also to benefit are Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti and Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido Ekiti.

Receiving the items on behalf of the government in Ado-Ekiti, the Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Dr Oyebanji Filani, said the medical consumables and personal protective equipment would assist in tackling communicable diseases.
Filani appreciated the company for the gesture and assured that the items would be used judiciously towards achieving the desired results.

He solicited the continued support of more corporate bodies, NGOs and individual philanthropists towards improving the lot of the people.
In his remarks, the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Mr Akinjide Akinleye, described the donation as laudable and worthy of emulation by similar business outfits.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019