Connect with us

News

Replacing Service Chiefs Won’t Solve Nigeria’s Security Challenges, Says Ex-DSS Director

Avatar

Published

on

The former Director of the Department of State Services (DSS), Mr Mike Ejiofor, has reacted to the security challenges in several parts of the country.

Ejiofor said the replacement of the nation’s service chiefs will not address the security concerns.

According to him, the only person authorised to change the service chiefs is President Muhammadu Buhari who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

While admitting that the heads of security and intelligence agencies have done enough in tackling the issues, their best is not yet enough.

“Even if you change the service chiefs now, under the present operating circumstance and environment, there is not going to be any change.

“Our military and security services are ill-equipped; they are understaffed just like any other sector of our polity. With this pandemic coming in, it becomes a problem. But we have to move forward,” he said.

Speaking further, the DSS former boss called for collaboration for the nation to win the war against terrorism, adding that Nigeria alone cannot curb the menace.

He noted that the United States had provided technical support for Nigeria through the delivery of a Tucano plane and military asset, adding that the aircraft will take time before arriving in the country.

Ejiofor called for a complete restructuring not just of the country, but also the nation’s security architecture if the battle against insecurity is to be won.

His remarks come amid calls in some quarters for the resignation or replacement of the service chiefs.

Just recently, the National Assembly passed a vote of no confidence on the heads of security agencies for failing to address the spate of attacks and killings in the country.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria Immigration Service Places Embargo on Capturing, Issuance of Passports

Avatar

Published

on

The Nigeria Immigration Service has placed an embargo on capturing and issuance of passports to applicants from today May 18th till the end of May 2021.

The Comptroller General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede made the announcement on Tuesday during a press briefing in Abuja.

He said the decision is to enable the service to clear its backlog, noting that it will no longer collect fresh applications until the backlogs are cleared.

This means that all passports in control offices are closed for applicants from today till May 31st and payments for passports will be online when the portal is opened which will be June.

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola had earlier given a six weeks timeline for passport collection.

He said this will be six weeks which is meant to allow for enough time to investigate, verify and validate personal information supplied by the applicants.

“What we are driving at is the peace of mind that comes from the assurance of certainty. If there are circumstances that will make the date to change, it will be communicated to the applicant one week before the collection date”.

He noted that applicants will have no basis for further communication with officers, other than to complete their application process and leave the venue. The date for the collection of their passports or any challenge to the application will be communicated to them.

“The technology for the efficient running of this system has been acquired and will be deployed.

“We are publishing on our website the list of the backlog of passports that are ready which are yet to be collected by the owners. They will be required to go to the state commands to collect them.

“With these changes, it is my firm belief that we will arrive at a new dawn in passport application processing”, the minister added.

Below is the breakdown of the current backlog

Local: 71, 644

Enhanced: 46,814

Foreign : 17,906

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

NLC President Dares El-Rufai, Leads Protesters to Kaduna Govt House

Avatar

Published

on

The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, is currently leading union members to the Kaduna State Government House.

This is after Governor Nasir El-Rufai declared the labour leader and others wanted for “economic sabotage” and attack on public infrastructure.

Large crowd, led by Wabba, is marching through Waff road in Kaduna and heading towards the government house.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Gov Obiano Imposes Curfew on 2 Warring Anambra Communities

Avatar

Published

on

Gov. Willie Obiano has imposed a 7am to 6am curfew on Omor and Anaku communities in Ayamelum Local Government Area of the state.

This is contained in a statement issued by Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu, Secretary to the State Government.

The state government said the curfew is untill further notice.

”The curfew begins on Monday. Residents of the two communities should obey the order as security personnel are on strict orders to enforce the curfew directives.

”The government has lifted the curfew imposed on Igbariam, Aguleri, Umueri, Nteje, Awkuzu and Umunya communities on April 26, following the return of normalcy in the areas,” the government said.

It was reported that on Sunday, a violent clash broke out between residents of Anaku and Omor Communities.

The police says three persons have been confirmed dead in a clash between Omor and Anaku communities in Anyamelum Local Government Area of the state.

DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra, told NAN in Awka on Sunday that normalcy has since been restored in the area.

Ikenga said that Mr Chris Owolabi, Commissioner of Police in the state, personally led a team of operatives to quell the crisis between the neighbouring communities.He said that the command is still gathering information on the extent of damage while assuring that efforts were on to avoid deterioration of the situation and ensure lasting peace.

“Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on ground to ensure safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies which have been deposited at the morgue.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019