The Nigerian Military on Thursday outlined some of its recent successes against bandits roaming the country’s North-West region.
In a press statement signed by Acting Director Defence Media Operations Bernard Onyeuko said its Operation Sahel Sanity have recovered cattle and arrested suspected bandits in the past few days.
The full statement:
1. In line with the efforts to achieve the mandate of eliminating bandits and other criminals in the North West zone of the country, the gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY have recorded more successes in the on going operation.
2. On 5 August 2020, troops deployed in Batsari LGA of Katsina State foiled a coordinated bandits attack on residents of Zamfarawa Kagara village in the State. The bandits invaded the village and stole several cows but while attempting to escape with them, troops arrived the vicinity and engaged the bandits, neutralized one, while others escaped with gunshot wounds. All the rustled cows were successfully recovered and handed to their rightful owners.
3. Similarly, On 6 August 2020, troops deployed at Forward Operation Base Dangulbi arrested a suspected bandit informant named Rabiu Salisu, the suspect was arrested following credible information on his nefarious activities with bandits operating in the area. Also, troops deployed at the Forward Operations Base Bagega arrested two bandits’ collaborators named Sani Sani and Sani Abubakar who were reported to be specialists in selling of bandits’ stolen cows and other items. They were arrested while butchering a cow for sale and have since confessed to collecting it from the bandits during interrogation.
4. Furthermore, troops recovered 17 cows from suspected cattle rustlers at Dogon Ruwa village. The cows were recovered from suspected bandits who abandon them and fled as troops storm the village following information of their activities from reliable sources.
5. In another development, troops on fighting patrol arrested a suspected bandit’s informant and logistics supplier named Saifullahi Adamu at Garin Dodo village in Katsina State, the suspect was arrested following credible information about his elicit engagements with suspected bandits. His wife Mrs Hauwa Abubakar also alleged that the suspect forcefully married her, whereas bandits whom her husband associates with usually accuse her of reporting their activities to security agencies thereby subjecting her to several abuses. Mrs Hauwa was rescued from her husband and has been handed over to the Katsina State Government while the suspect is in own custody for further interogation.
6. Similarly, on the 7 August 2020, troops deployed at Forward Operation Base Anka while on patrol arrested 2 suspected bandits’ couriers named Abdulrazi and Ismaila at Malamawa village in Anka LGA of Zamfara State in connection with butchering and selling of stolen cows. Furthermore, troops arrested another 3 suspected bandits’ couriers named Hassan Mallam, Kabiru Ahmadu and Surajo Muhammadu of Sabon Birni and Munhaye villages at Pasawa-Magami Road of Zamfara State. All the suspects are presently undergoing investigation.
7. Additionally, on the 7 August 2020 troops deployed at Tsafe LGA of Zamfara State responded to information on the activities of cattle rustlers and quickly mobilized to the area. The criminals abandoned their loot on sensing approaching troops who recovered 8 cattles in the process which were immediately handed over to their rightful owners. Also, same day troops arrested a suspected bandit named Sabiu Sani. Investigations revealed that suspect was previously arrested by vigilante group but escaped from custody. In another operation following a tip-off troops deployed in Faskari equally arrested 5 suspected bandits in a blue Hyundai car with registration number Katsina 107 BAK. The suspects are presently undergoing interrogation.
8. Furthermore, on 8 August 2020, troops arrested one suspected cattle rustler named Sallahu Rabiu at Natsinta Village with 3 rustled cows. Suspect confessed to have been operating with a gang of cattle rustlers. Efforts are ongoing to apprehend other members of his gang. Also, troops deployed at Wagini arrested a suspected bandit name Usman Suleiman. The suspect was apprehended after being sighted by the eagle eyed troops while trying to sneak into the village from the forest in search of food. He admitted to be part of a bandit group terrorizing Batsari general area.
9. On 9 August 2020, troops deployed at Mara arrested 2 suspected bandits named Jamilu Mani and Aminu Lawal along Danmusa – Runka Road, suspected were identified to be notorious bandits terrorizing the area. In the same vain, troops deployed at Bingi while on patrol arrested a suspected bandit and impostor named Sani Saidu wearing a police uniform with the name tag bearing “ James Oname”. Preliminary investigation revealed that James Oname a Police Sergeant was killed in 2015 by bandits at Tunga Rakumi in Maru LGA of Zamfara State. The suspect is undergoing further interrogation. Relatedly, same day troops on clearance patrol destroyed 8 major bandits camps owned by notorious bandits leader known as Abu-Radde at Lebi Fulani Areas in Batsari LGA of Katsina. Troops during the operation recovered 4 dane guns and other items.
10. In another development, On 10 August 2020, troops deployed at Yarsanta while on routine patrol intercepted a kidnapped escapee named Auwal Yusuf wandering aimlessly along Yarsanta-Kabuge general area. The victim was promptly rescued by the troops and taken to safety. Similarly troops on patrol encountered suspected bandits with rustled cows along Bagega – Sabon Birni, bandits opened fire on sighting the troops but fled into the bushes as troops responded with superior firepower. During exploitation, troops found traces of blood along bandits escape route while 12 cows were recovered by the troops.
11. Also, on 11 August 2020, troops at Forward Operation Base Yar Gamji in Batsari while conducting farm patrol arrested a suspected bandit named Ibrahim Musa. During preliminary interrogation, the suspect confessed to be on a spy mission and a member of a bandit group led by one criminal named Danladi Dahiru hiding in Dumburum forest. Same day, troops arrested a suspected bandit named Bello Haliru along Batsari – Sawara Road following a deligent tracking by the troops. Suspect was identified to be a notorious bandit who escaped from vigilante custody during a previous arrest.
12. Consequently, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai has commended the troops for their gallantry, successes and their resilience. He urges them not to rest on their oars. He further assured the people of the North-West zone of the Nigerian Army’s commitment to the safety of lives and properties within the zone.
Security: Kogi Responds as 11 Bandits Fell to Superior Firepower
A group of bandits terrorizing some parts of Kogi Local Government Area of Kogi State have met their waterloo as officers of the State Vigilante Group killed 11 of them and arrested others while 3 kidnapped victims were rescued successfully
According to information at the disposal of our reporters, Security operatives acting on intelligence, nabbed an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, Inspector Abdullahi Saidu who alongside a friend supplies the criminals with weapons and information to undertake their heinous crimes
The successful operation by the security operatives was carried out in series working with credible intelligence.
A source within the Kogi State Vigilante Service had this to say: ”Alaidi is their ring leader. He was killed during the first camp attack. Rabo and seven others were crushed. Madei and one other were killed in the second kidnappers’ camp while Umar escaped with gunshot injuries but was recaptured”.
They also confirmed that five of the kidnappers arrestsd, including the civil defense operative were in the custody of the Department of State Security for further investigations.
Reacting the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Muhammed Onogwu noted that such security success by the operatives was a welcome development and a proof that the security architecture of Kogi State was strong and solid enough to quash all forms of criminal vices
He opined that the Local Vigilantes across the state have continued to record good results because of the morale boost and support the Governor has continued to give as well as the cooperation from the citizens and synergy between the security operatives
Onogwu noted that the continued efforts of the Kogi State Government to keep the momentum as the safest state in the country were so far yielding remarkable results noting that the Governor has severally made a commitment to securing the lives and property of the citizens and make the state a no go zone for criminal elements
He reiterated that Government at all levels would continue to make efforts towards sustaining the drive for a peaceful Kogi state by making every nooks and cranny of the state unsafe for criminal elements and their sponsors.
In the same vein, security agencies are on the trail of kidnappers who were reported to have carried out attack on certain individuals in Kabba.
The State Government said it is in touch with security agencies and that the Governor already gave a marching order that those kidnapped must be rescued and the perpetrators apprehended.
A source within the Kogi State Security circles who doesn’t want his name in print said they are getting “encouraging headway” in their operations against the kidnappers.
Kidnapped Major Dalung Found Dead
The military officer Major Christopher Datong abducted on Tuesday at Nigerian Defence Academy, Afaka in Kaduna has been murdered.
According to reports, his body was found on Tuesday evening, hours after he was captured by bandits.
The abductors reportedly demanded N200 million to set him free.
Datong who was from Pankshin in Plateau state, was born 4 January, 1978.
One of the photographs circulating in the social media showed the officer with his pregnant wife.
The security breach of the Nigerian Defence Academy triggered shock across the nation , with people wondering if any one is really safe if bandits could operate so freely inside an elite military institution.
Our Lives in Danger, Elders, Excos of Inikorogha Community Cries Out
The elders and executive members of the Inikorogha Community have expressed fear over their lives and the plot to enslave the community and terminate the lives of prominent leaders.
The group made this known through a joint statement by Hon. Timi Robert, CDC Chairman and Mr. Robinson Ogidigba, Chairman Of Elders.
Part of the statement reads: “The good people of Inikorogha community have over a long period of time watched helplessly and with uttermost confusion, the unnecessary assault, persecution, harassment, indiscriminate arrests, and unlawful invasion of the inhabitants and territory of Inikorogha community in Ovia South West Local Government Area of Edo State by various security agencies.
” Our sons have been arrested on several occasions based on certain security reports that only exist in the mischievous imagination of Daniel Ezekiel Pere, Peres Ejune, Godstime Ogidigba, their Sponsors and supporters, and all the security agencies/personnel they are collaborating with in making sure they kill Robert Okubo and subject Inikorogha community to their rulership by proxy.
“It beats the imagination of any sane human being to the extent our security agencies have been manipulated by Peres Ejune, Godstime Ogidigba, and the insane social media noise maker Daniel Ezekiel Pere. The story of Robert Okubo being the person behind certain horrible killings and the instigation of the Ijaws against the Binis is not just ridiculous but a calculated attack and a well-hatched plan to bring him (Robert Okubo) to disrepute before the public and subsequently exterminate him. The only place this duplicity roguish rhetoric exist is in the dirty and dubious mental disposition of Daniel Ezekiel Pere, Godstime Ogidigba, and Peres Ejune, their supporters and sponsors, and their collaborators in the security agencies.
For the records, it is pertinent to categorically state here that Robert Okubo is a repentant militant who has sincerely embraced the federal government amnesty and has over the years remained a law-abiding resourceful indigene of Inikorogha community in Ovia South West Local Government Area of Edo State. Robert Okubo has proven beyond all shades of doubt through his words and actions that he embraced the federal government amnesty wholeheartedly and with all sincerity of purpose.
“It is a verifiable fact that Robert Okubo after embracing amnesty has been instrumental in maintaining law and order through diligent and honest collaborations with the security agencies, community leaders, and the government of Edo State during his time as SSA to the Governor of Edo State which brought about his elevation to Executive Director in Security and Marine Surveillance,”
The community leaders say it is expedient to bring to the knowledge of all security agencies in Edo State and the Niger Delta region the fact that Robert Okubo has absolutely no hands in the fight between Obazuwa and Ikoro communities in Ovia North East Local Government Area of Edo State.
“Whatever he has been accused of in respect to the land dispute between the aforementioned communities only exists in the deluded and insane minds of Daniel Ezekiel Pere, Godstime Ogidigba, Peres Ejune, their sponsors, supporters, and collaborators. We wish to make known the truth that our illustrious son Robert Okubo has no hands whatever in any community clash anywhere in Edo State or other places of the Niger Delta region. If he is guilty of anything, he is guilty of doing good by helping the poor and elderly, creating Jobs for youths, and contributing through other significant ways to the peace and progress of Inikorogha community.
Inikorogha community has been subjected to several military raids and drone surveillance, all in futile efforts to find any evidence to pin down Robert Okubo and substantiate the lies of Daniel Ezekiel Pere. The continued inability of the military or any other security agency to find anything that criminalizes Robert Okubo after countless raids in his community and personal properties should have served as enough evidence to vindicate him from the malicious accusations of his detractors,” it further stated.
The statement added that Robert Okubo for the records has no militant group or camp anywhere within or outside Edo State.
“As a community, we wish to say that enough is enough. We call on the presidency and security chiefs through their representatives in Edo State to use their good offices and put to an end the continued harassment of Robert Okubo by people of questionable psychological dispositions and obvious criminal intentions,” it further stated.
Politics1 year ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics1 year ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics1 year ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Investigation1 year ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News3 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
Politics1 year ago
South-South Zone Is Completely PDP, Says Wike Ahead Of Edo Election
Politics1 year ago
Edo Refinery, Other Projects Will Earn Gov. Obaseki Second Term – Gideon Ikhine