The Nigerian Military on Thursday outlined some of its recent successes against bandits roaming the country’s North-West region.
In a press statement signed by Acting Director Defence Media Operations Bernard Onyeuko said its Operation Sahel Sanity have recovered cattle and arrested suspected bandits in the past few days.
The full statement:
1. In line with the efforts to achieve the mandate of eliminating bandits and other criminals in the North West zone of the country, the gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY have recorded more successes in the on going operation.
2. On 5 August 2020, troops deployed in Batsari LGA of Katsina State foiled a coordinated bandits attack on residents of Zamfarawa Kagara village in the State. The bandits invaded the village and stole several cows but while attempting to escape with them, troops arrived the vicinity and engaged the bandits, neutralized one, while others escaped with gunshot wounds. All the rustled cows were successfully recovered and handed to their rightful owners.
3. Similarly, On 6 August 2020, troops deployed at Forward Operation Base Dangulbi arrested a suspected bandit informant named Rabiu Salisu, the suspect was arrested following credible information on his nefarious activities with bandits operating in the area. Also, troops deployed at the Forward Operations Base Bagega arrested two bandits’ collaborators named Sani Sani and Sani Abubakar who were reported to be specialists in selling of bandits’ stolen cows and other items. They were arrested while butchering a cow for sale and have since confessed to collecting it from the bandits during interrogation.
4. Furthermore, troops recovered 17 cows from suspected cattle rustlers at Dogon Ruwa village. The cows were recovered from suspected bandits who abandon them and fled as troops storm the village following information of their activities from reliable sources.
5. In another development, troops on fighting patrol arrested a suspected bandit’s informant and logistics supplier named Saifullahi Adamu at Garin Dodo village in Katsina State, the suspect was arrested following credible information about his elicit engagements with suspected bandits. His wife Mrs Hauwa Abubakar also alleged that the suspect forcefully married her, whereas bandits whom her husband associates with usually accuse her of reporting their activities to security agencies thereby subjecting her to several abuses. Mrs Hauwa was rescued from her husband and has been handed over to the Katsina State Government while the suspect is in own custody for further interogation.
6. Similarly, on the 7 August 2020, troops deployed at Forward Operation Base Anka while on patrol arrested 2 suspected bandits’ couriers named Abdulrazi and Ismaila at Malamawa village in Anka LGA of Zamfara State in connection with butchering and selling of stolen cows. Furthermore, troops arrested another 3 suspected bandits’ couriers named Hassan Mallam, Kabiru Ahmadu and Surajo Muhammadu of Sabon Birni and Munhaye villages at Pasawa-Magami Road of Zamfara State. All the suspects are presently undergoing investigation.
7. Additionally, on the 7 August 2020 troops deployed at Tsafe LGA of Zamfara State responded to information on the activities of cattle rustlers and quickly mobilized to the area. The criminals abandoned their loot on sensing approaching troops who recovered 8 cattles in the process which were immediately handed over to their rightful owners. Also, same day troops arrested a suspected bandit named Sabiu Sani. Investigations revealed that suspect was previously arrested by vigilante group but escaped from custody. In another operation following a tip-off troops deployed in Faskari equally arrested 5 suspected bandits in a blue Hyundai car with registration number Katsina 107 BAK. The suspects are presently undergoing interrogation.
8. Furthermore, on 8 August 2020, troops arrested one suspected cattle rustler named Sallahu Rabiu at Natsinta Village with 3 rustled cows. Suspect confessed to have been operating with a gang of cattle rustlers. Efforts are ongoing to apprehend other members of his gang. Also, troops deployed at Wagini arrested a suspected bandit name Usman Suleiman. The suspect was apprehended after being sighted by the eagle eyed troops while trying to sneak into the village from the forest in search of food. He admitted to be part of a bandit group terrorizing Batsari general area.
9. On 9 August 2020, troops deployed at Mara arrested 2 suspected bandits named Jamilu Mani and Aminu Lawal along Danmusa – Runka Road, suspected were identified to be notorious bandits terrorizing the area. In the same vain, troops deployed at Bingi while on patrol arrested a suspected bandit and impostor named Sani Saidu wearing a police uniform with the name tag bearing “ James Oname”. Preliminary investigation revealed that James Oname a Police Sergeant was killed in 2015 by bandits at Tunga Rakumi in Maru LGA of Zamfara State. The suspect is undergoing further interrogation. Relatedly, same day troops on clearance patrol destroyed 8 major bandits camps owned by notorious bandits leader known as Abu-Radde at Lebi Fulani Areas in Batsari LGA of Katsina. Troops during the operation recovered 4 dane guns and other items.
10. In another development, On 10 August 2020, troops deployed at Yarsanta while on routine patrol intercepted a kidnapped escapee named Auwal Yusuf wandering aimlessly along Yarsanta-Kabuge general area. The victim was promptly rescued by the troops and taken to safety. Similarly troops on patrol encountered suspected bandits with rustled cows along Bagega – Sabon Birni, bandits opened fire on sighting the troops but fled into the bushes as troops responded with superior firepower. During exploitation, troops found traces of blood along bandits escape route while 12 cows were recovered by the troops.
11. Also, on 11 August 2020, troops at Forward Operation Base Yar Gamji in Batsari while conducting farm patrol arrested a suspected bandit named Ibrahim Musa. During preliminary interrogation, the suspect confessed to be on a spy mission and a member of a bandit group led by one criminal named Danladi Dahiru hiding in Dumburum forest. Same day, troops arrested a suspected bandit named Bello Haliru along Batsari – Sawara Road following a deligent tracking by the troops. Suspect was identified to be a notorious bandit who escaped from vigilante custody during a previous arrest.
12. Consequently, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai has commended the troops for their gallantry, successes and their resilience. He urges them not to rest on their oars. He further assured the people of the North-West zone of the Nigerian Army’s commitment to the safety of lives and properties within the zone.
Troops Kill 7 Terrorists, Destroys Gun Trucks In Borno
Troops of Operation Tura Takaibango in conjunction with Air Task Force Operation Lafiya Dole have eliminated scores of Boko Haram terrorists and destroyed seven of their gun trucks in Matte, Borno.
The acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brig.-Gen. Benard Onyeuko, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.
Onyeuko said that unconfirmed number of the terrorists were killed when they attempted to attack troops location at the outskirts of Marte in Marte Local Government Area on Saturday.
He said the troops, acting on reliable information about the attack, had positioned themselves in an ambush site where they tactically ambushed the terrorists and opened fire.
According to him, this led to fierce battle that resulted in the successes against the terrorists.
“The troops are still engaged in pursuit of the fleeing terrorists for further exploitation.
“Further details of interest to members of the public will be communicated later,” he said.
Banditry: Army Kill Several Bandits, Recover Arms In Katsina
The Nigerian Army said Troops of Operation Sahel Sanity has neutralized more bandits and arrested suspected collaborator in Katsina State.
In a press statement signed by the Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brigadier General Benard Onyeuko on Tuesday said in furtherance directive of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai extending Operation SAHEL SANITY to March, the gallant troops have increased the momentum of the Operation.
According to him they have continued to dominate the Northwest theatre with confidence building patrols, robust and aggressive ambushes coupled with clearance operations.
This according to Onyeuko is with a view to completely wipe out the remnant bandits and other criminal elements from the region.
“Consequently, on 2 January 2021, based on credible human intelligence about movement of armed bandits sighted crossing Garin Inu in Batsari LGA heading towards Bugaje in Jibiya LGA both in Katsina State, troops deployed at Batsari swiftly mobilized and laid ambush along the bandit’s route at Garin Garus”.
“While at the ambush position, the gallant troops made contact with the marauding armed bandits and engaged them with overwhelming fire power thereby neutralizing 5 bandits while others escaped with varying degrees of injuries as indicated by traces of blood along their escape routes”.
Onyeuko noted that further exploitation of the area by the gallant troops led to the capture of 3 AK-47 rifles and 2 AK 47 Rifle magazines loaded with 18 rounds of 7.62 mm Special ammunition.
“Relatedly, on 3 January 2021, troops deployed at Dan Ali village acting on reliable information from reliable sources arrested a suspected bandits’ collaborator named Ya’u Tukur at Sabon Gida village in Kankara LGA of Katsina State”.
“During preliminary investigations, suspect confessed to be working for a notorious bandit gang which has been masterminding nefarious crimes including kidnapping for ransom in various places. Troops are on the trail of other members of the notorious gang”.
Furthermore, Onyeuko said on 4 January 2021, troops deployed at Maraban Maigora acting on credible information arrested one Yahaya Aliyu while riding on a new motorcycle.
“The arrest was executed following reports from reliable sources on the suspect’s alleged involvement in kidnapping and facilitating payment of ransom for kidnap victims in the area”.
“During preliminary investigations, suspect admitted his involvement in the alleged crimes, adding that the motorcycle he was riding was part of a bounty as ransom from a kidnapped victim”.
“Additionally, on 8 January 2020, troops deployed at Yankara while acting on a tip off arrested a suspected bandit’s collaborator named Alhaji Adamu Mamman around Yankara general area in Faskari LGA of Katsina State. Suspect has been at large following his involvement of harbouring bandits in his house”.
“In another development, on 10 January 2021, troops deployed at Sabon Layi while clearing bandits enclaves around Maigora general area in Faskari LGA of Katsina State, came in contact with armed bandits at Unguwar Rimi leading to a fierce gun battle”.
“The troops were swiftly reinforced by another team from Faskari and supported by Helicopter Gunship delivering a lethal blow to the criminals thereby forcing the bandits to withdraw in disarray into the forest due to troop’s superior fire power”.
He said during the exploitation phase of the operation, 5 bodies of neutralized bandits were found while several others were suspected to escape with gunshot wounds as indicated by blood stains on their escape route.
“Regrettably, one brave soldier paid the supreme price while 2 others sustained minor injuries during the encounter. The wounded soldiers are in stable condition and currently responding to treatment in a military medical facility”.
The statement further commended the gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY for the successes and their unequaled commitment.
“They are further urged not to rest on their oars until the Northwest zone is rid of all criminal elements”.
Tragedy As Gunmen Kill 3 Mobile Policemen In Delta State
Some unidentified gunmen have snuffed life out of three police officers in Ughelli, Delta state.
According to Vanguard, the incident occured at a fast-food spot located along the East-West road on Sunday night.
The attack is coming a few days after a new Divisional Police Officer, DPO, Mr. Benjamin Igometi took over the reins of affairs of the Ughelli ‘A’ division with a charge on him to curb the rising spate of insecurity in the area.
Though the State Police Public Relations Officer, Onome Onowakpoyeya was yet to confirm the incident when contacted, a source at the scene of the incident said the hoodlums took the slain policemen unawares, shot them at close range and made away with their rifles.
Politics4 months ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics5 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics7 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
Investigation6 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election