Jihadists linked to an Islamic State insurgency group have registered their presence in Yobe State, despite claims from the Nigeria Army that the state is free of terrorists.
Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists Thursday dropped leaflets in Buni Gari region of the state threatening to attack security officials in the region. ISWAP is a splinter group of Boko Haram.
The leaflets, written in Hausa and sighted by Global Sentinel, feature the black flag of ISIS and titled “Message From Jundul Khialifa To People of Buni Gari” – from its English translation.
The identity and origin of those that distributed the leaflets cannot be independently verified by The Guardian.
“You have been catching our brothers and killing them, unfortunately, we don’t target you with our weapons,” the leaflets read.
“Our war is against the government and it’s official (soldiers and police and vigilante and all those that assist them in fighting us in anyway) anyone that is in this category, then he knows we will kill him if we get an advantage on him.
“If you want to live in peace like you are living, then take your hands off us,” it said.
The leaflet, however, is contrary to claims by the Nigerian Army that the state is terrorism-free.
Despite arm fortifications, insurgents continue to launch attacks in the region. In fact, the South Africa-based Institute for Security Studies recently reported that the terrorists are extending its reach from north-east Nigeria into the country’s north-west.
It added that the terrorists are taking advantage of old and new local conflicts and insecurities to further embed themselves in the area through violent extremism.
Since January 2019 thousands of people in the north-west states of Kaduna, Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara have been killed or injured. Others have lost their livelihoods. At least about 23,000 persons have been displaced and dozens have been abducted for ransom, nurturing an economy of violence, ISS Africa reported.
Communities in the north-west and north-central Nigeria, lacking state protection, are becoming increasingly vulnerable to the converging threats.
Boko Haram launched a bloody insurgency in 2009 in northeastern Nigeria but it later spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting a military response.
United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs says more than 30,000 people have been killed and nearly 3 million displaced in the decade of Boko Haram’s terrorist activities in Nigeria.
Violence committed by Boko Haram has affected some 26 million people in the Lake Chad region and displaced 2.6 million others, according to the UN Refugee Agency.
The United Nations last Friday said 10.6 million out of the 13 million people in the conflict-ravaged states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe would need humanitarian assistance this year.
It said the figures represented a 50-per cent increase since last year and the highest tally since the beginning of the joint humanitarian response five years ago.
Nigeria Immigration Service Places Embargo on Capturing, Issuance of Passports
The Nigeria Immigration Service has placed an embargo on capturing and issuance of passports to applicants from today May 18th till the end of May 2021.
The Comptroller General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede made the announcement on Tuesday during a press briefing in Abuja.
He said the decision is to enable the service to clear its backlog, noting that it will no longer collect fresh applications until the backlogs are cleared.
This means that all passports in control offices are closed for applicants from today till May 31st and payments for passports will be online when the portal is opened which will be June.
The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola had earlier given a six weeks timeline for passport collection.
He said this will be six weeks which is meant to allow for enough time to investigate, verify and validate personal information supplied by the applicants.
“What we are driving at is the peace of mind that comes from the assurance of certainty. If there are circumstances that will make the date to change, it will be communicated to the applicant one week before the collection date”.
He noted that applicants will have no basis for further communication with officers, other than to complete their application process and leave the venue. The date for the collection of their passports or any challenge to the application will be communicated to them.
“The technology for the efficient running of this system has been acquired and will be deployed.
“We are publishing on our website the list of the backlog of passports that are ready which are yet to be collected by the owners. They will be required to go to the state commands to collect them.
“With these changes, it is my firm belief that we will arrive at a new dawn in passport application processing”, the minister added.
Below is the breakdown of the current backlog
Local: 71, 644
Foreign : 17,906
NLC President Dares El-Rufai, Leads Protesters to Kaduna Govt House
The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, is currently leading union members to the Kaduna State Government House.
This is after Governor Nasir El-Rufai declared the labour leader and others wanted for “economic sabotage” and attack on public infrastructure.
Large crowd, led by Wabba, is marching through Waff road in Kaduna and heading towards the government house.
Gov Obiano Imposes Curfew on 2 Warring Anambra Communities
Gov. Willie Obiano has imposed a 7am to 6am curfew on Omor and Anaku communities in Ayamelum Local Government Area of the state.
This is contained in a statement issued by Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu, Secretary to the State Government.
The state government said the curfew is untill further notice.
”The curfew begins on Monday. Residents of the two communities should obey the order as security personnel are on strict orders to enforce the curfew directives.
”The government has lifted the curfew imposed on Igbariam, Aguleri, Umueri, Nteje, Awkuzu and Umunya communities on April 26, following the return of normalcy in the areas,” the government said.
It was reported that on Sunday, a violent clash broke out between residents of Anaku and Omor Communities.
The police says three persons have been confirmed dead in a clash between Omor and Anaku communities in Anyamelum Local Government Area of the state.
DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra, told NAN in Awka on Sunday that normalcy has since been restored in the area.
Ikenga said that Mr Chris Owolabi, Commissioner of Police in the state, personally led a team of operatives to quell the crisis between the neighbouring communities.He said that the command is still gathering information on the extent of damage while assuring that efforts were on to avoid deterioration of the situation and ensure lasting peace.
“Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on ground to ensure safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies which have been deposited at the morgue.
Politics8 months ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics9 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics11 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Investigation10 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election