The Nigerian military on Wednesday said some 410 members of the Darul Salam Terrorists Group have surrendered.
A bomb-making factory belonging to the terrorists has also been decimated.
The information was contained in a statement signed by a military spokesman, Major-General John Enenche.
The surrender followed “aggressive intensive kinetic operations at identified bandits’ enclaves” by a military unit, Operation Whirl Stroke, and other security agencies deployed at Uttu in Toto Local Government Area of Nasarawa State, Enenche said.
Among the surrendered terrorists were women and children.
The military also said Operation Whirl Stroke personnel “stormed a Darul Salam terrorists bomb-making factory” and recovered several rocket launcher bombs and other explosive materials.
“The camp was subsequently destroyed while troops are equally combing the surrounding forests for fleeing members of the sect,” Enenche said.
SEE FULL MILITARY’S STATEMENT:
TROOPS OF OPERATION WHIRL STROKE BUST TERRORISTS CELL; RECOVER EXPLOSIVES, ARMS AND AMMUNITION
IN NASARAWA, AS 410 MEMBERS OF DARUL SALAM TERRORISTS GROUP SURRENDER
1. In continuation of aggressive clearance operations aimed at decisively riding the North-Central zone of armed banditry and other forms of criminality, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE have recorded a major success against the criminal elements.
2. Following aggressive intensive kinetic operations at identified bandits’ enclaves, not less than 410 members of the Darul Salam Terrorists group, including women and children, surendered to the troops of operation WHIRL STROKE and other security agencies deployed at Uttu in Toto Local Government Area of Nasarawa State. This development took place on 25 August 2020.
3. Relatedly, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE while on a robust clearance patrol around Uttu, on 26 August 2020 stormed a Darul Salam terrorists bomb-making factory following actionable technical and human intelligence on the activities of the terrorists in the general area. In the course of the operation, troops recovered several Improvised Explosive Device making materials at the location including 2 scales, 6 rocket launcher bombs, one bag of fertilizer, half a bag of gun powder, 10 locally made hand grenades, one Rocket Propelled Grenade bomb fuse, one locally made Rocket Launcher, 2 Improvised Explosive Devices,13 Improvised rocket bombs, amongst others. The camp was subsequently destroyed while troops are equally combing the surrounding forests for fleeing members of the sect.
4. The Military High Command commends the gallant troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE for their professionalism and dexterity in achieving this notable feat and also urges them to sustain the tempo in the push to decisively curtail the activities of armed bandits and other criminals operating in the North-Central zone.
5. You are please requested to disseminate this information through your medium with the photos attached for the awareness of the general public. Thank you for your usual support and cooperation.
Defence Media Operations
26 August 2020.
Tailor Defence: Travel To U.S. If You Are Sure , Falana Tells Abba Kyari
Femi Falana, Human rights lawyer has challenged Nigeria’s deputy police commissioner Abba Kyari to submit himself to the jurisdiction of the District Court in the United States if he is not guilty of allegations against him.
Mr Kyari had denied any wrongdoing on Thursday after the news of his embroiling with Nigerian Internet fraudster Ramon Abass known as Hushpuppi, in a multimillion-dollar fraud.
Court documents revealed an order to arrest and detain Mr Kyari after Mr Abbas pleaded guilty to large-scale cyber fraud in the U.S. recently. The documents also exposed how Mr Abbas bribed Mr Kyari to arrest one of his gang members following a dispute presumably over the proceeds of crime. The police officer arrested and detained the gang member.
Claiming no wrongdoing, Mr Kyari, in a statement on Facebook, narrated how Mr Abbas called him two years ago to complain about a person threatening to kill his family.
He said the suspect was released after discovering there was no threat to anyone’s life, “and they are longtime friends who have money issues between them.
“Nobody demanded a kobo from Abbas Hushpuppi,” claiming that he only introduced Mr Abbas, who paid N300,000 to his cloth vendor.
“Later, he saw some of my native clothes and caps on my social media page, and he said he likes them, and he was connected to the person selling the clothes, and he sent about N300k directly to the person’s account,” added Mr Kyari. “The native clothes and caps (five sets) were brought to our office, and He sent somebody to collect them in our office.”
Reacting to Mr Kyari’s claims, Mr Falana said, “The United States and Nigeria have an extradition treaty which covers the offences allegedly committed by CP Abba Kyari.”
“If the police officer insists on his innocence, he may want to submit himself to the jurisdiction of the district court in the United States. Once the request is received by the federal government, the attorney general will commence extradition proceedings in the federal high court.”
Additional details in the indictment file contained how Mr Kyari left his job as a police officer and travelled to Dubai to enjoy a good time with Mr Abbas, who lived at Palazzo Versace in the Emirati commercial capital.
Banditry: We Are Available to Help, Boris Johnson Tells Buhari
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that the UK is available to assist Nigeria in its war against terrorism.
Johnson stated this while holding bilateral talks at the sidelines of the Global Education Summit in London on Thursday.
President Buhari had earlier reviewed the security situation in the different regions of the country, while PM Johnson pledged Britain’s preparedness to lend a helping hand.
“We are available to help,” he said.
At the meeting, the two leaders agreed that in a bid to bring the various forms of terrorism to an end, then it is important that the judicial process runs without interference, no matter who was involved.
According to a communique by the President’s special media aide, the two leaders equally discussed how to increase trade between the two countries, develop solar and wind power, the leadership of the Commonwealth going forward, and other matters of mutual interest.
Nigeria’s power needs and efforts which are being made, as well as initiatives geared at achieving food security, were also brought to the table.
IGP Orders Action on FBI’s Allegation Against Abba Kyari
The Inspector-General of Police has ordered a review of the allegations against Abba Kyari, a Deputy Commissioner of Police.
Kyari has been accused of being bribed by suspected billionaire fraudster, Abbas Ramon, also known as Hushpuppi, but he denied the allegation.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had also asked Nigerian authorities to track down Kyari over an allegation that the cop received money from Hushpuppi to help jail his associate.
Spokesman of the police, Frank Mba, in a terse statement, made available to newsmen in Abuja, said the Inspector-General of Police, has ordered an internal review of the allegations.
The statement read, ”Sequel to the receipt of allegation and indictment processes from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) against one of the personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, DCP Abba Kyari, the Inspector General of Police IGP Usman Alkali Baba psc (+), NPM, fdc has ordered an internal review of the allegations.
”The Nigeria Police Force reaffirms its commitment to the pursuit of justice and the strengthening of its professional relationship with the FBI and other international partners.
”Further developments on this case will be communicated to members of the public accordingly.”
Politics11 months ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics12 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics1 year ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Investigation1 year ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News3 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
News3 years ago
ASUU Strike: Ngige Begs Varsity Teacher to Have Mercy on Students