Nigeria has recorded 160 more COVID-19 cases as the total infections have risen to 53, 477.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed this on Friday night.
According to the latest report, the new cases were recorded in the Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory and 13 other states.
While Plateau topped the list with 44 cases, Lagos came second with 27 infections, followed by Katsina – 18, Edo – 15 and the FCT – 14.
Other states include Ondo – 10, Oyo – 9, Kwara – 6, Abia and Nasarawa – 4, Kano – 3, Ekiti and Kaduna – 2, Kebbi and Ogun – 1.
On a positive note, the country has successfully managed 41,017 cases who have recovered from the virus and have been discharged.
Unfortunately, the death toll stands at 1,011 since the initial outbreak of the disease in February.
The novel coronavirus has killed at least 832,336 people since the outbreak emerged in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP at 1100 GMT on Friday.
At least 24,509,180 cases have been registered. Of these, at least 15,772,000 are now considered recovered.
The tallies, using data collected by AFP from national authorities and information from the World Health Organization (WHO), probably reflect only a fraction of the actual number of infections.
Many countries are testing only symptomatic or the most serious cases.
On Thusday, 5,708 new deaths and 278,551 new cases were recorded worldwide. Based on latest reports, the countries with the most new deaths were India with 1,057 new deaths, followed by Brazil with 984 and the United States with 931.
The United States is the worst-hit country with 180,857 deaths from 5,869,692 cases. At least 2,101,326 people have been declared recovered.
After the US, the hardest-hit countries are Brazil with 118,649 deaths from 3,761,391 cases, Mexico with 62,594 deaths from 579,914 cases, India with 61,529 deaths from 3,387,500 cases, and the United Kingdom with 41,477 deaths from 330,368 cases.
The country with the highest number of deaths compared to its population is Peru with 86 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, followed by Belgium with 85, Spain 62, United Kingdom 61, and Italy 59.
China — excluding Hong Kong and Macau — has to date declared 85,013 cases, including 4,634 deaths and 80,091 recoveries.
Latin America and the Caribbean overall has 269,253 deaths from 7,049,015 cases, Europe 214,490 deaths from 3,858,008 infections, and the United States and Canada 189,992 deaths from 5,996,338 cases.
Asia has reported 93,534 deaths from 4,892,207 cases, Middle East 35,587 deaths from 1,463,444 cases, Africa 28,856 deaths from 1,221,628 cases, and Oceania 624 deaths from 28,544 cases.
As a result of corrections by national authorities or late publication of data, the figures updated over the past 24 hours may not correspond exactly to the previous day’s tallies.
Nigeria Immigration Service Places Embargo on Capturing, Issuance of Passports
The Nigeria Immigration Service has placed an embargo on capturing and issuance of passports to applicants from today May 18th till the end of May 2021.
The Comptroller General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede made the announcement on Tuesday during a press briefing in Abuja.
He said the decision is to enable the service to clear its backlog, noting that it will no longer collect fresh applications until the backlogs are cleared.
This means that all passports in control offices are closed for applicants from today till May 31st and payments for passports will be online when the portal is opened which will be June.
The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola had earlier given a six weeks timeline for passport collection.
He said this will be six weeks which is meant to allow for enough time to investigate, verify and validate personal information supplied by the applicants.
“What we are driving at is the peace of mind that comes from the assurance of certainty. If there are circumstances that will make the date to change, it will be communicated to the applicant one week before the collection date”.
He noted that applicants will have no basis for further communication with officers, other than to complete their application process and leave the venue. The date for the collection of their passports or any challenge to the application will be communicated to them.
“The technology for the efficient running of this system has been acquired and will be deployed.
“We are publishing on our website the list of the backlog of passports that are ready which are yet to be collected by the owners. They will be required to go to the state commands to collect them.
“With these changes, it is my firm belief that we will arrive at a new dawn in passport application processing”, the minister added.
Below is the breakdown of the current backlog
Local: 71, 644
Foreign : 17,906
NLC President Dares El-Rufai, Leads Protesters to Kaduna Govt House
The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, is currently leading union members to the Kaduna State Government House.
This is after Governor Nasir El-Rufai declared the labour leader and others wanted for “economic sabotage” and attack on public infrastructure.
Large crowd, led by Wabba, is marching through Waff road in Kaduna and heading towards the government house.
Gov Obiano Imposes Curfew on 2 Warring Anambra Communities
Gov. Willie Obiano has imposed a 7am to 6am curfew on Omor and Anaku communities in Ayamelum Local Government Area of the state.
This is contained in a statement issued by Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu, Secretary to the State Government.
The state government said the curfew is untill further notice.
”The curfew begins on Monday. Residents of the two communities should obey the order as security personnel are on strict orders to enforce the curfew directives.
”The government has lifted the curfew imposed on Igbariam, Aguleri, Umueri, Nteje, Awkuzu and Umunya communities on April 26, following the return of normalcy in the areas,” the government said.
It was reported that on Sunday, a violent clash broke out between residents of Anaku and Omor Communities.
The police says three persons have been confirmed dead in a clash between Omor and Anaku communities in Anyamelum Local Government Area of the state.
DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra, told NAN in Awka on Sunday that normalcy has since been restored in the area.
Ikenga said that Mr Chris Owolabi, Commissioner of Police in the state, personally led a team of operatives to quell the crisis between the neighbouring communities.He said that the command is still gathering information on the extent of damage while assuring that efforts were on to avoid deterioration of the situation and ensure lasting peace.
“Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on ground to ensure safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies which have been deposited at the morgue.
Politics8 months ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics9 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics11 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Investigation10 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election