A group under the auspices of Great Nigerian Citizens (GNC), on Wednesday debunked claims by some online reports that the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Education, Mr. Suonny Echono is tribalistic in the issues of Federal scholarship.
In a press statement in Abuja, the national coordinator of the group, Mr. Jamiu Kabiru described those peddling such rumour as enemies of Nigeria saying their actions is unfortunate.
Kabiru said as it stands now that the scholarship selection is still in process and not completed yet but the enemies of the Nigerian state are already brandishing fake lists of candidates that have been shortlisted.
“Echono is a detribalised Nigerian who believes in carrying everyone along as long as there will be positive result”.
He said fake news manufacturers and mischief makers want to use lies, disinformation and empty propaganda to hoodwink unsuspecting Nigerians into supporting their unpopular anti-government movements.
“There is no way Ehono will take a decision without consulting the Honourable minister of education Malam Adamu Adamu whom both of them have worked together with transparency”
He advised that Nigerians should not take the rumours serious as it is fake news and doesn’t describe the situation of things at the Federal Scholarship Board.
The Federal Scholarship Board under the the leadership of Arch. Sunday S.T Echono has recorded tremendous achievements cutting across all aspects”.
“Under Echono’s administration, the board devises plans for efficient utilization of foreign and local scholarships for educational aspirants”.
“It is on record that under Echono, the Federal Scholarship Board ensures that only deserving Nigerian Scholars are awarded with foreign and local scholarships without fear or favour”, Kabiru said.
According to Kabiru, the objective of this administration is to institute a level of transparency in governance which the Honourable minister of education Malam Adamu Adamu has made a point in his agenda.
” It is important we school these elements who are out to destroy the good works of the minister of education Malam Adamu Adamu”.
” The Scholarship Board has a director who is responsible for all the activities and only reports to his superior officer who in turn reports to the Minister of education”
Kabiru noted that the Honourable minister in discharging his duties has observed the Federal Character principles in all affairs that concern Nigerians seeking scholarship within and outside the country.
“It is Crystal clear that because of the good working relationship that exist between the Minister and Echono, some people who still wants things done in the old ways are not happy. Transparency is the keyword on the lips of the people of those who work with them. The Federal Character principles has become a cardinal point”.
“We want to use this opportunity to appreciate the Minister of state for education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba for the good works he is doing. Nigerians are watching and are appreciative”
Nigeria Immigration Service Places Embargo on Capturing, Issuance of Passports
The Nigeria Immigration Service has placed an embargo on capturing and issuance of passports to applicants from today May 18th till the end of May 2021.
The Comptroller General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede made the announcement on Tuesday during a press briefing in Abuja.
He said the decision is to enable the service to clear its backlog, noting that it will no longer collect fresh applications until the backlogs are cleared.
This means that all passports in control offices are closed for applicants from today till May 31st and payments for passports will be online when the portal is opened which will be June.
The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola had earlier given a six weeks timeline for passport collection.
He said this will be six weeks which is meant to allow for enough time to investigate, verify and validate personal information supplied by the applicants.
“What we are driving at is the peace of mind that comes from the assurance of certainty. If there are circumstances that will make the date to change, it will be communicated to the applicant one week before the collection date”.
He noted that applicants will have no basis for further communication with officers, other than to complete their application process and leave the venue. The date for the collection of their passports or any challenge to the application will be communicated to them.
“The technology for the efficient running of this system has been acquired and will be deployed.
“We are publishing on our website the list of the backlog of passports that are ready which are yet to be collected by the owners. They will be required to go to the state commands to collect them.
“With these changes, it is my firm belief that we will arrive at a new dawn in passport application processing”, the minister added.
Below is the breakdown of the current backlog
Local: 71, 644
Foreign : 17,906
NLC President Dares El-Rufai, Leads Protesters to Kaduna Govt House
The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, is currently leading union members to the Kaduna State Government House.
This is after Governor Nasir El-Rufai declared the labour leader and others wanted for “economic sabotage” and attack on public infrastructure.
Large crowd, led by Wabba, is marching through Waff road in Kaduna and heading towards the government house.
Gov Obiano Imposes Curfew on 2 Warring Anambra Communities
Gov. Willie Obiano has imposed a 7am to 6am curfew on Omor and Anaku communities in Ayamelum Local Government Area of the state.
This is contained in a statement issued by Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu, Secretary to the State Government.
The state government said the curfew is untill further notice.
”The curfew begins on Monday. Residents of the two communities should obey the order as security personnel are on strict orders to enforce the curfew directives.
”The government has lifted the curfew imposed on Igbariam, Aguleri, Umueri, Nteje, Awkuzu and Umunya communities on April 26, following the return of normalcy in the areas,” the government said.
It was reported that on Sunday, a violent clash broke out between residents of Anaku and Omor Communities.
The police says three persons have been confirmed dead in a clash between Omor and Anaku communities in Anyamelum Local Government Area of the state.
DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra, told NAN in Awka on Sunday that normalcy has since been restored in the area.
Ikenga said that Mr Chris Owolabi, Commissioner of Police in the state, personally led a team of operatives to quell the crisis between the neighbouring communities.He said that the command is still gathering information on the extent of damage while assuring that efforts were on to avoid deterioration of the situation and ensure lasting peace.
“Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on ground to ensure safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies which have been deposited at the morgue.
Politics8 months ago
Electricity Tariff Hike: Review Is A Painful Adjustment – President Buhari
Politics9 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics11 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Investigation10 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election