Connect with us

News

Nigeria Records 239 New Cases Of COVID-19

Avatar

Published

on

Nigeria on Tuesday recorded 239 new cases of the novel coronavirus, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said.

The health agency revealed this in a late-night tweet.

The country now has a total of 54,247 confirmed cases, with 42,010 persons discharged and 1,023 deaths.

Plateau reported the highest number of cases with 116 while the Federal Capital Territory ranked second with 33 new infections.

Other states with new cases include Lagos-19, Ekiti-12, Kaduna-11, Ogun-11, Ebonyi-8, Benue-7, Abia-5, Delta-5, Ondo-4, Edo-3, Imo-2, Osun-2, and Bauchi-1.

NCDC@NCDCgov
239 new cases of #COVID19Nigeria; Plateau-116
FCT-33
Lagos-19
Ekiti-12
Kaduna-11
Ogun-11
Ebonyi-8
Benue-7
Abia-5
Delta-5
Ondo-4
Edo-3
Imo-2
Osun-2
Bauchi-1
54,247 confirmed
42,010 discharged
1,023 deaths

Global Update

The novel coronavirus has killed at least 851,321 people worldwide since the outbreak emerged in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP at 1100 GMT on Tuesday.

At least 25,533,540 cases of coronavirus have been registered. Of these, at least 17,635,900 are now considered recovered.

The tallies, using data collected by AFP from national authorities and information from the World Health Organization (WHO), probably reflect only a fraction of the actual number of infections.

Many countries are testing only symptomatic or the most serious cases.

On Monday, 4,297 new deaths and 267,187 new cases were recorded worldwide. Based on latest reports, the countries with the most new deaths were India with 819 new deaths, followed by Brazil with 553 and the United States with 465.

The United States is the worst-hit country with 183,602 deaths from 6,031,287 cases. At least 2,184,825 people have been declared recovered.

After the US, the hardest-hit countries are Brazil with 121,381 deaths from 3,908,272 cases, India with 65,288 deaths from 3,691,166 cases, Mexico with 64,414 deaths from 599,560 cases, and Britain with 41,501 deaths from 335,873 cases.

The country with the highest number of deaths compared to its population is Peru with 88 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, followed by Belgium (85), Spain (62), the United Kingdom (61), and Chile (59).

China — excluding Hong Kong and Macau — has to date declared 85,058 cases, including 4,634 deaths and 80,208 recoveries.

Latin America and the Caribbean overall has 277,300 deaths from 7,354,798 cases, Europe 215,897 deaths from 3,988,094 infections, and the United States and Canada 192,758 deaths from 6,159,481 cases.

Asia reported 98,257 deaths from 5,242,623 cases, the Middle East 36,593 deaths from 1,504,235 cases, Africa 29,815 deaths from 1,255,153 cases, and Oceania 701 deaths from 29,158 cases.

As a result of corrections by national authorities or late publication of data, the figures updated over the past 24 hours may not correspond exactly to the previous day’s tallies.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

26 Kidnapped FRSC Officials Regain Freedom – Gov. Sule

Avatar

Published

on

The 26 officials of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) kidnapped along Mararaban-Udege in Nasarawa State have regained their freedom.

Governor Abdullahi Sule disclosed this on Monday at the Government House in Lafia, the state capital.

Governor Sule said the recent release of the remaining batch of seven officials has led to the complete freedom of the FRSC operatives that were abducted last week.

Three of the officials had earlier been rescued by security personnel on September 15, a day after 10 officers of the corps were seized in an attack by suspected bandits.

“All the twenty-something officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps that were kidnapped, all of them were released yesterday.

“I want to thank all the security (agencies) and those that have worked very hard to ensure that we achieve that feat.

“I want to thank them for all the efforts they are making to ensure that Nasarawa remains safe,” the governor said.

The officials were travelling for a training programme at FRSC Academy in Udi when they were attacked by suspected bandits

Following their abduction, the police authorities in Nasarawa State announced the rescue of three operatives earlier.

The Nasarawa State Commissioner of Police, Bola Longe disclosed this to the Channels Television in an exclusive interview on September 15.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

EFCC, Navy Re-Strategise Against Oil Theft

Avatar

Published

on

As part of efforts to stem the tide of criminal activities in the maritime sector, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and the Nigeria Navy have agreed to review their strategies.

This resolve was expressed on Monday, September 21, 2020 during a courtesy visit by the Zonal Head of the Lagos office of EFCC, AbdulRasheeed Bawa, to Commodore Ibrahim Aliyu Shetima, Commander, Nigeria Navy Ship, NSS BEECROFT, Apapa Lagos.

Speaking during the visit, Bawa said: “The EFCC has the mandate to prosecute arrested suspects for illegal dealings in petroleum products and other maritime-related crimes and it has lived up to its billings. We will continue to curtail the activities of the criminals in the maritime industry”.

Bawa, who conveyed the regards of the acting Chairman, Umar Mohammed, to Shetimma, acknowledged the existing cooperation and working relationship between the EFCC and the Navy.

The Lagos Zonal Head, who used the occasion to officially introduce himself to the Commander, also sought a more robust collaboration and deepening of the existing working relationship.

Bawa, who also gave an update on the progress of the cases handed over to the EFCC Lagos Zonal Office, added that “We have recorded a 90 per cent success rate in our cases in court.

“Out of the 46 cases handed over to the Commission in the course of the collaboration, 22 of them have been completed successfully, including 17 vessels and their products forfeited to the Federal Government after diligent investigation and prosecution, while 18 others are at advanced stages of prosecution in various courts”.

Bawa further expressed the readiness of the Commission to look into whatever challenges that might be hindering the speedy prosecution of suspects over illegal oil deals, adding that “the Commission would continue to strategize and be more proactive in the investigation of cases handed over to it so as to ensure that products in the vessels are evacuated promptly.”

Earlier, Shettima had expressed his gratitude over the visit, saying, “This visit could not have come at a better time. I am impressed by the progress the Commission had made so far on the prosecution of maritime-related offenders.

“We appreciate your efforts and timely intervention in the evacuation of suspects and prompt prosecution.

“Globally, maritime resources are important and Nigeria is not an exemption. We must continue to work together to protect the industry and curtail the activities of the criminals.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

President Buhari Congratulates Obaseki, Reiterates Commitment To Free, Fair Elections

Avatar

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Godwin Obaseki on his re-election as governor of Edo State.

He congratulated him on Sunday in a statement signed by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity, Garba Shehu, urging him to continue to show grace and humility in victory.

The President also commended the election process in the state, reiterating the government’s commitment to free and fair elections.

“My commitment to free and fair elections is firm because without free and fair elections, the foundation of our political and moral authority will be weak,” he said.

“I have consistently advocated for free and fair elections in the country because it is the bedrock of true democratic order.

“Democracy will mean nothing if the votes of the people don’t count or if their mandate is fraudulently tampered with.”

Speaking further, President Buhari also commended the people of the state, the parties, candidates and security agencies for conducting themselves responsibly.

It was a dramatic process that saw Obaseki run a governorship race against Ize-Iyamu for a second time in four years.

Governor Obaseki and His Deputy, Philip Shaibu have been re-elected into office for another four-year tenure.

Both men faced each other in 2016, albeit with Obasek flying the flag of the APC and Ize-Iyamu flying that of the PDP.

A political rift between the governor and Oshiomhole which spiraled beyond the state to national politics, saw both men switch parties and square up against each other on platforms they once criticised.

The campaign, characterised by drama and controversy that did not spare the State House of Assembly, was tempered by the intervention of the Oba of Benin to calm fears that the poll could turn violence heightened.

A peace accord was also signed by all the candidates days before the poll as stakeholders made concerted efforts to ensure a successful poll.

Overall, most of the stakeholders rated the exercise as largely peaceful, free and fair.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019