Twenty one people have died while many have fled their homes in 18 local government areas of Jigawa State following the worst flooding ever experienced in the state, the state government said on Tuesday
The state governor, Badaru, disclosed to journalists in his office in Dutse yesterday that among the 21 persons killed by the flood, four of them drowned into a river.
Badaru said the flood had also displaced many people in most of the affected communities.
He said “Many of the victims lost their lives as a result of building collapse caused by the heavy rainfall in the areas, and others washed away by over flooded rivers.”
Badaru also consoled the families of those affected, and assured them that the government would provide relief items to the displaced persons.
The governor called on the federal government to assist the state so as to alleviate the suffering of the affected communities.
According to him, an assessment team has been sent to all the affected communities with a view to providing government support to them.
Badaru said many families have been displaced, while a hundred thousand hectares of farmlands were submerged and all produce lost to the flood.
It was learnt that the flood disaster affected 24 of the 27 local government areas in the state, in which the situation was worsened in 18 local government areas.
It was also observed that the flood washed away hundreds of farm lands in the rural areas, and Jigawa is one of the agrarian states that local people relied only on rainy season for farming.
More than 50,000 houses and farmlands were destroyed following the flood which ravaged some parts of the state last week.
Federal Govt Warns Civil Servants Not Join Labour Strike
The Federal Government has warned civil servants against participating in the planned nationwide strike called by the organised Labour.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), and its affiliate unions had called on workers to embark on an indefinite industrial action on Monday over the price of petrol and electricity tariff.
But in a statement issued on Saturday, the Head of Service of the Federation, Dr Folasade Yemi-Esan, asked civil servants to be at work, saying the government is engaging with the union officials over the issue.
“Accordingly, all officers on grade level 12 and above and those on essential services are hereby strongly advised to be at work to perform their official duties.
“Permanent Secretaries and Chief Executive Officers are, therefore, enjoined to bring the contents of this circular to the attention of all concerned officers and ensure strict compliance,” the statement partly read.
Yemi-Esan argued that there is a court injunction granted by the National Industrial Court with suit number, NICN/ABJ/253/2020 issued on September 24 on the matter.
The court order, she noted, had restrained the NLC and TUC from embarking on any form of industrialisation action pending the hearing and determination of a motion on notice.
“Sequel to the Labour Unions for workers to embark on industrial action from Monday, Sept. 28, the office of the HOCSF wishes to inform all public servants that the Federal Government team is currently engaging with the labour unions with the view to resolving all contentious issues and avert the planned industrial actions,” she said.
The HOCSF’s directive comes 24 hours after Justice Ibrahim Galadima of the National Industrial Court in Abuja issued a fresh restraining order against the unions, following an ex parte application by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.
The fresh order came a day after the same judge made a similar restraining ex parte order in favour of a group, Peace and Unity Ambassadors Association, on Thursday.
The judge ordered that both the NLC and the TUC joined as the defendants in the suit should be served with the fresh court order within seven days from Friday.
Gov. El-Rufai Clarifies Selection Process Of New Zazzau Emir
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has reiterated the commitment of the state government in ensuring that the selection process for the new Emir of Zazzau is carefully done.
The governor disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday by his spokesman, Muyiwa Adekeye.
While quoting the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Balarabe Abbas, the procedure is for the kingmakers of Zazzau Emirate to address their recommendations to the Commissioner of Local Government Affairs, who will in turn process the document and forward to the Governor.
“Upon receipt of the correspondence from the commissioner, the SSG will avail the security agencies of the names on the shortlist for the necessary checks,” Adekeye said.
“It is the duty of the SSG to forward the recommendations and the associated security report to the Governor for his consideration.”
The governor’s spokesman confirmed that the report of the kingmakers has been submitted, adding that it is a step that will trigger the next sequence of events in the chain of reporting and security vetting.’
According to Adekeye, the SSG appealed for calm and understanding as the responsible institutions manage a selection process that was last used 45 years ago.
The former Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris died on September 20 at the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital in the Kaduna state capital after a brief illness.
He was 84 years and was buried the next day in the state.
NLC Insists On Monday Protest Despite Court Order
The Nigeria Labour Congress on Friday insisted that it will go on with its planned mass action scheduled for Monday, September 28.
In a communique by its General Secretary, Comrade Emmanuel Ugboaja, the NLC asked its members across the nation to come out in large numbers to protest the increase in fuel and electricity prices.
The order was given despite a fresh court order obtained by the Federal Government, barring the NLC and the Trade Union Congress from embarking on their planned strike scheduled to commence on Monday.
In the statement by Comrade Emmanuel Ugboaja, NLC asked all National Leadership of affiliates in Abuja to mobile at least 2000 of their members to Unity Fountain, Abuja for the mass rally which takes off at 7am.
Also, affiliates are expected to mobilise the same number of members to the NLC Sub-Secretariat, 29, Olajuwon Street, Yaba, Lagos, which is the take-off point for the Lagos action at 7am also.
The NLC Secretary also noted that all Presidents and General Secretaries are expected to lead and identify with their members at the take-off point.
Reverse fuel, electricity price, or?
Earlier in September, Organised Labour threatened to embark on a nationwide strike if the Federal Government refuses to reverse the recent increases in fuel and electricity tariff.
Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) President, Ayuba Wabba while making the announcement in Abuja said the NLC’s central working committee (CWC) has resolved to issue a two-week ultimatum to the Federal Government to reverse the increase.
He said workers and Nigerians are disappointed that the government decided to increase both the price of fuel and electricity tariff at a time “other countries across the world are giving palliatives to their citizens to cushion the effect of COVID-19.”
“NLC central committee will also mobilise its members, civic society allies, and other social partners to resist this policy because it has driven many into poverty,” Wabba added.
Ahead of the threat by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to resort to industrial action, the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) held an emergency meeting of all the governors.
Following the meeting, the NGF cautioned NLC against the planned strike, arguing that any plan to down tools will worsen the currently deteriorating economic situation of the country brought by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Politics2 months ago
Party Crisis: Progressives Governors’ Forum DG Calls For Constitutional Review
Politics3 months ago
PGF Boss, Lukman Denies Media Report of Division Among APC Governors
Politics1 year ago
Ignore Tinubu’s Comment, He Cannot Speak for South-West – Activist
News2 years ago
Armed Forces Need N9bn Annually For Shoes, Boots, Says DG Defence Research
News2 years ago
Amaechi Endorses AAC Guber Candidate in Rivers
Investigation2 months ago
NDDC Spent 1.3trn Between 2015 And 2019 – Senate Report
Politics2 years ago
Emir Sanusi Plots Cancellation of Kano Rerun Election
Press Release2 years ago
Nigeria Decides: Theresa May Endorses Illegality in Buhari -MPV