Connect with us

News

CCTV Footage On Lekki Has Exposed Purveyors Of Fake News Against Nigerian Army – Yoruba Youths

Avatar

Published

on

The Progressive Yoruba Youths Council (PYYC) says the CCTV footage brought before the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry has exposed merchants of fake news against the Nigerian Army.

According to the group, the misconception that the clip from the Lekki toll gate was destroyed has been proven otherwise.

Speaking at a press conference on Sunday in Lagos, President, Kola Salawu said the video showed that no massacre took place as being portrayed.

The PYYC added that the footage also rubbished DJ Switch’s claims while vindicating the Army.

The group, however, appealed to the troops to get past the distraction of those that have been desperate to scapegoat it for the failure of their protests.

Read the full statement below:

Gentlemen of the press, the entire world has now seen the much-anticipated CCTV footage from the night of Tuesday, October 20, 2020, as part of disclosures being made before the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry. Without prejudice to what the Panel will come up with, the emergence of the video brought closure on certain fronts and it will equally be key to the resolution of some of the controversies that have lingered since that epochal day.

We want to state clearly at this point that there is a cardinal matter we must not lose sight of. That point is that those seeking to profit from sowing discord and chaos in Nigeria are depending on what they perceive as the collective short memory to carry out their evil act. They believe that they can continually manipulate the collective consciousness by deciding for the rest of us what the focus of public discourse should be.

This is the reason the contractors that had the mandate to hijack and use the #EndSARS protest to sow discord nationwide had deployed so much propaganda to create the impression that the CCTV footage from the night of the Lekki Incident has been destroyed. Please note that they had previously created so much furore with the lie that the CCTV Camera at the Toll Plaza has been vandalized or compromised such that it was not possible to have captured any recording.

What these crisis entrepreneurs relied on to peddle these lies was the removal of licence plate cameras by the Lekki Concession Company for safekeeping away from a destructive mob based on information that the facility was going to be vandalized. The social media wing of those that are trying to destroy Nigeria went to work and perpetuated the lie that the CCTV Cameras at the Toll Plaza was removed to allow the Army massacre protesters.

That lie about the CCTV being removed set the tone for the malicious fabrications about 78 people being killed in a phantom massacre. Note that till date neither DJ Switch nor the other paid for hire activists have been able to show the world where the remains of their supposed 78 casualties are interred. Hospital admissions of patients did not tally with the claim either do mortuary intake confirm the wrong claim. But it appears there is a resolution to rope the Army in at any cost.

It is the reason that the CNN fallacious special report did not come as a surprise to us because we had found out that the report was meant to undermine Nigeria ahead of the playing of the Lekki CCTV footage. We observed a concerted attempt to use that report as a distraction that will prevent Nigerians from knowing that the CCTV footage has been shown so that people can continue to persist in thinking that there was no video to tell the story of what happened that pivotal night.

We find it fortunate that we have been attending the proceedings since the inception of the panel, which allows us a holistic view of the information that it has collected so far. We also were able to view the CCTV footage and we can now speak from the position of being appropriately informed.

Since the video was shown all the propaganda deployed has been about how soldiers deployed to the location with seven trucks. There is no proof that protesters were massacred, there was nothing about human remains being loaded on any of the seven trucks, which has rubbished the claims of people like DJ Switch.  The video showed by the Lekki Concession Company has further vindicated the Army. The video did not show that anyone was killed. The number of trucks used to move soldiers to the Tollgate does not matter at this point.

We are therefore urging the Nigerian Army to get past the distraction of those that have been desperate to scapegoat it for the failure of their protests. It was important to have stopped the carnage that these people had planned for the country.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Breaking: CNN Retracts Initial Report Soldiers Killed 38 at Lekki Tollgate During #EndSARS Protest

Avatar

Published

on

The Cable News Network has retracted its initial report, which said operatives of the Nigerian Army killed 38 persons at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos State on October 20, 2020.

The international broadcaster did this a double retraction on its Twitter handle it titled: “Clarification.”

In the “Clarification,” CNN said it did not attribute the death toll to Amnesty International and also failed to say in the report that the 38 persons killed were not just at the Lekki tollgate but across the country during the #EndSARS protest.

It tweeted: “Clarification: This tweet from October 23 did not attribute the death toll from protests in Nigeria to Amnesty International. The tweet also did not make it clear that the death toll was for protests across the country.”

But it did both in its tweets and reports anchored by Stephanie Busari on the incident as attached to this report.

Though the first paragraph of the amended story on the incident on October 22, 2020 said the reported 38 deaths on October 20, 2020 was nationwide, what it tweeted on October 23, 2020 was that the military did the killing that day.

In that same first paragraph of the story, the international broadcaster attributed its source of death of 56 persons to Amnesty International, a position it then retreated in the early hours of Friday.

It wrote in the story, which video link is also attached: “At least 56 people have died across Nigeria since the #EndSARS protests began on October 8, with 38 killed across the country on Tuesday alone, according to human rights group Amnesty International.”

The Nigerian Government had through the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, written a protest letter to the Management of CNN complaining about the authenticity of a report that put together various videos of the Lekki Tollgate shooting.

However, CNN followed it up with a Part 2 of the report.

The Nigerian Army had also disputed both the initial report on the October 20, 2020 shooting and the two parts report on the video evidences CNN claimed justified its position on the shooting incident.

Reactions to the “Clarification” by CNN had been pouring in since it was done at about 10:05pm Nigerian time on Thursday.

However, the broadcaster has not said anything on the two parts report that followed in the last one week.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/22/africa/nigeria-protests-56-dead-jail-fire-intl/index.html

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Lekki Shooting: CNN Carried Out A Hatchet Job On The Army – International Journalists

Avatar

Published

on

The report by Cable News Network (CNN) on the shooting at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos was a “poor” hatchet job targeted at the Nigerian Army, the International Institute for Investigative Journalism (IIIJ) has said.

In an electronic statement signed by special rapporteur, Francois Deburoiche, on Wednesday, the IIIJ said it came to this conclusion following a careful investigation on the events that led to the escalation of violence at the toll gate.

After forensic analysis of CNN’s report, the International Institute for Investigative Journalism noted that there were some missing details in the American television channel’s piece.

According to the institute, the report was carried out in poor taste, lacking professionalism and objectivity. It added that the claim of use of live bullets and testimonies of victims were all tales.

The institute, however, advised the television channel to retract and admit error in the documentary.

Read the full statement below:

The International Institute for Investigative Journalism is issuing this press statement with the best of intents after a careful investigation on the events that led to the escalation of violence at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos Nigeria during the EndSARS protest.

A team of investigative journalists with extensive experience in conflict situation interrogated the various claims made by the American Cable News Network in its report on the Lekki Shootings and came up with a comprehensive analysis that found gaps that were not filled in the CNN documentation of the events at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos Nigeria.

Our statement:

The CNN documentary on the EndSARS protest in Nigeria was released to the general public with lots of inaccuracies. These accuracies were detected after an extensive forensic investigation by the International Institute for Investigative Journalism.

It is thus our opinion that the report was carried out in the poor taste, lacking in professionalism and objectivity. This is a great betrayal on journalism by the CNN, which indeed violated the known tenets of journalism.

The videos and images used in the CNN report were not subjected to adequate scrutiny. Consequently, it lacked credibility for use by an organization of repute such as the CNN. This fact was also buttressed by the fact that the CNN report was very hasty in its conclusion by indicting the Nigerian Army of culpability in the events at the Lekki Tollgate.

Our position remains that the CNN erred substantially in its report that was highly misleading to the general public in Nigeria and other parts of the world. The documentary also failed woefully to highlight the events that led to the reign of violence in parts of Lagos state but instead rehashed the issues under different subheadings with minimal evidence that indicts the Nigerian Army of wrongdoing at the Lekki Tollgate.

The International Institute for Investigative Journalism concludes that the CNN documentary was prejudiced in its analysis as well as presentation which fall nothing short of a poor hatchet job with the undeniable intent to discredit the Nigerian Army operation at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos Nigeria.

The analysis by CNN in the documentary was hasty in its categorization with regards to the use of live bullets by soldiers at the Lekki Tollgate. The report attempted to portray the use of excessive force by soldiers, while the accompanying videos and images did not depict such.

The credibility of those interviewed in the documentary was also suspect with the choice of words and the facial and body expressions of the victims as well as their relatives. Thus much was revealed by forensic analysis as the emotions portrayed didn’t match their words.

Conclusion:

The International Institute for Investigative Journalism is of the considered opinion that the CNN carried out a hatchet job that is targeted at the Nigerian Army institution. We as a result of this classify the CNN documentary as highly misleading and with the capacity to cause disquiet in Nigeria.

The CNN must retract and admit error in submission in its documentary on the Lekki Tollgate shootings. The International Institute for Investigative Journalism faults the CNN documentary in all ramifications.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Why Army is Boosting Land Power, Buratai Speaks at War College Lecture

Avatar

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has said that the Army War College Nigeria (AWCN) has continued to churn out highly-capable operational commanders, with a very good understanding of operational art and the requisite skills for the effective application of land power.

Buratai, was the special guest of honour at the ‘Graduation Lecture’ of Course 4/2020, in Abuja. The COAS, who had earlier commissioned the War College Office Extension Building, further said the building is made up of offices, Central Auditorium with 450 seating capacity, a lecture hall and a lounge with 180 and 120 seating capacity, respectively.

According to Lt. Gen. Buratai, the War College was conceived to address the observed gaps in the professional military education of Army’s personnel at operational level. The Commandant of AWCN, Maj. Gen. SE Udounwa, expressed gratitude to the Army Chief for tirelessly supporting the College, especially in the area of infrastructural development.

The AWCN was established in 2017 to bridge the gap between the tactical and strategic level training by producing well trained, educated and inspired operational level leaders for the Nigerian Army.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019