Connect with us

News

Delta Commissioner Warns Youths Against Drug Abuse

Avatar

Published

on

By ifeanyi Olannye

Delta State Commissioner for Information, Mr Charles Aniagwu, has cautioned Nigerian youths against drug abuse, because of its psychological damage to users and the society.

A statement on Saturday, in Asaba, quoted the commissioner as giving the advise at the Annual General Meeting of Akumazi Youths Association in Akumazi, Ika North East Local Government Area of the state.

Aniagwu said that many persons had lost their destinies and purpose to illicit drug use, adding that drug addiction had never favoured anyone, so the youths should strive to seek other meaningful and profitable enterprises.

In his remarks, the National President of the association, Mr Udoka Anene commended the Obi of Akumazi, HRM Obi Henry Jegbefume I, for his support, saying that the association had created more branches since he took over the mantle of leadership.

Anene said that the association would continue to adopt various strategies to ensure the growth and advancement of its members.

Dr Matthew Chukwuma, in a lecture, entitled, “Drugs: Its Effect on Youths Social Behavior”, said that drugs were substances that affected the functions of a whole or part of an organism, especially the central nervous system.

He observed that majority of youths in the present-day society depended on drugs to carry out various activities, while hard drugs could cause an individual to exhibit some socially unacceptable attributes.

“Suicide, murder, madness and involvement in unlawful acts are among what hard drugs can lure one into. That is why all drugs are to be recommended and should be administered with caution, in acceptable doses and under the supervision of an expert,” Chukwuma said.

The traditional ruler, HRM Jegbefume I, described the topic as timely and relevant, while urging the youths to shun drugs abuse and acts inimical to their growth and the development of the society.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria Immigration Service Places Embargo on Capturing, Issuance of Passports

Avatar

Published

on

The Nigeria Immigration Service has placed an embargo on capturing and issuance of passports to applicants from today May 18th till the end of May 2021.

The Comptroller General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede made the announcement on Tuesday during a press briefing in Abuja.

He said the decision is to enable the service to clear its backlog, noting that it will no longer collect fresh applications until the backlogs are cleared.

This means that all passports in control offices are closed for applicants from today till May 31st and payments for passports will be online when the portal is opened which will be June.

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola had earlier given a six weeks timeline for passport collection.

He said this will be six weeks which is meant to allow for enough time to investigate, verify and validate personal information supplied by the applicants.

“What we are driving at is the peace of mind that comes from the assurance of certainty. If there are circumstances that will make the date to change, it will be communicated to the applicant one week before the collection date”.

He noted that applicants will have no basis for further communication with officers, other than to complete their application process and leave the venue. The date for the collection of their passports or any challenge to the application will be communicated to them.

“The technology for the efficient running of this system has been acquired and will be deployed.

“We are publishing on our website the list of the backlog of passports that are ready which are yet to be collected by the owners. They will be required to go to the state commands to collect them.

“With these changes, it is my firm belief that we will arrive at a new dawn in passport application processing”, the minister added.

Below is the breakdown of the current backlog

Local: 71, 644

Enhanced: 46,814

Foreign : 17,906

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

NLC President Dares El-Rufai, Leads Protesters to Kaduna Govt House

Avatar

Published

on

The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, is currently leading union members to the Kaduna State Government House.

This is after Governor Nasir El-Rufai declared the labour leader and others wanted for “economic sabotage” and attack on public infrastructure.

Large crowd, led by Wabba, is marching through Waff road in Kaduna and heading towards the government house.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Gov Obiano Imposes Curfew on 2 Warring Anambra Communities

Avatar

Published

on

Gov. Willie Obiano has imposed a 7am to 6am curfew on Omor and Anaku communities in Ayamelum Local Government Area of the state.

This is contained in a statement issued by Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu, Secretary to the State Government.

The state government said the curfew is untill further notice.

”The curfew begins on Monday. Residents of the two communities should obey the order as security personnel are on strict orders to enforce the curfew directives.

”The government has lifted the curfew imposed on Igbariam, Aguleri, Umueri, Nteje, Awkuzu and Umunya communities on April 26, following the return of normalcy in the areas,” the government said.

It was reported that on Sunday, a violent clash broke out between residents of Anaku and Omor Communities.

The police says three persons have been confirmed dead in a clash between Omor and Anaku communities in Anyamelum Local Government Area of the state.

DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra, told NAN in Awka on Sunday that normalcy has since been restored in the area.

Ikenga said that Mr Chris Owolabi, Commissioner of Police in the state, personally led a team of operatives to quell the crisis between the neighbouring communities.He said that the command is still gathering information on the extent of damage while assuring that efforts were on to avoid deterioration of the situation and ensure lasting peace.

“Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on ground to ensure safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies which have been deposited at the morgue.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 -2019