As the battle for Chairmanship of the House of Representatives heats up, and the nation expects a more vibrant legislature, a name kept popping up amongst the distinguished members.
Hon Yusuf Gagdi has proven himself among his peers with his giant strides not just in words but in deeds.
Age has been kind to him as he remain within the bracket of ” Life begins at 40″ as thia will stand as a connect between the ages and youth.
Legislative business is no mean fit, so lets look the curriculum vitae of the distinguished gentleman.
He was House Committee member on Navy, and his constuency is Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency of Plateau State in the North Central geopolitical zone of Nigeria.
He was a Deputy Speaker of the State House of Assembly before getting elected into the House in 2019.
Born on November 5, 1980, the 42 year lawmaker had served in various other capacities before his present position which included Legislative Aide to Deputy Speaker of Plateau State House of Assembly between 2003 and 2006; member of Plateau State Library Board 2012- 2014 and Chairman of Federal Board, Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority (LBRBDA Makurdi 2012 – 2014; Chairman of Special Committee on peace, security and reconciliation Plateau State 2015;
Chairman Special Committee on Peace, Security and Reconciliation Plateau State 2018 and as well as Financial Secretary of PDP Plateau State 2012 – 2014.age
Alliance for True Democracy giving their endorsement and support for his candidature states the following:
1. Rt. Hon. Yusuf Adamu Gagdi is 43 years old. In a country with a huge population of young people, our political leadership across party lines doesn’t reflect this reality. Electing Rt Hon Gagdi will help correct this imbalance.
2. The 10th HOR will have an unusually high number of younger politicians in their 30s and 40s. The leadership of the House must reflect this to avoid intergenerational conflicts.
3. Gagdi understands the legislature, how it works and how to make it better. This is evidenced by the fact that in his first term in the House, he sponsored 6 bills that became law, something that has never been done in the history of our democracy since 1999.
4. Despite being a loyal party man, he has a proven history of working across party lines to achieve policy priorities. This ability is important in the 10th HOR where no party has a majority and cross part collaboration is essential to achieving anything.
5. He is the only candidate so far who is speaking to the need for actual reforms to improve the way parliament operates and ensure the House meets the expectations of the Nigerian people.